none
Virgin user of Communicator - how can I set it up RRS feed

• Question

• Office Version:Office 2010Operating System:Windows XP
    You cannot vote on your own post

I have just received Office Pro for Students, and would like to run Communicator 2007 R2 which I have never seen before, but am unsure whether it is designed to run over the web like Messenger or if it is just a program for organisations to use within their own intranet. I have inserted my isp's POP/STMP details in the internal/external server boxes in the manual configuration window, but just receive an error message saying to try TLS[TCP] format, or contact administrator. Trying one then brings up the error message suggesting I try the other format.

Any ideas would be welcomed

Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:02 PM

Answers

• The Communicator client it designed to only be able to log into an Office Communications Server (OCS) or Lync Server backend.  You cannot use the Communicator client as just an IM client for any IM provider.  If your employer or school has an OCS/Lync server backend, then I would ask them what the login settings are for the client.  It doesn't sound like you have this, so this client is pretty much useless to you.

Tim Harrington | MVP: Exchange | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010, MCITP: Server 2008, MCTS: OCS | Blog: http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com | Twitter: @twharrington
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:02 AM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 2:28 AM