none
Lync 2013 server cannot synchronize with the corporate address book because the file could not be found

Question

• I have the Lync 2013 server preview installed but because we are not participating in Outlook 365 or 2013 we have to use the Lync 2010 client for now.  (Doesn't seem like we can get a Lync 2013 stand alone client without all the extra stuff we don't want).

Lync 2010 says "Cannot synchronize with the corporate address book because the file could not be found."  We currently have Exchange 2007 on a Server 2003 system, a CA on a Server 2008 R2 system and also Lync 2013 preview on a Server 2008 R2 system.

I read that maybe it has to do with a certificate issue so here is what's in my Server Certificates screen in IIS Manager on the Lync server:

lync    lync.domain.com   Issued by domain-CA Expires 10/10/2014

Lync Default Certificate    lync.domain.com     Issued by domain-CA Expires 10/11/2014

OAuth Default Certificate  domain.com    Issued by domain-CA Expires 10/11/2014

I think the last two were re-requests from the CA because Lync wasn't working right with the iPhone app at first.  It still doesn't work with the iPhone app, but the message at least doesn't refer to the certificate anymore.  That is a separate issue so we'll save that for another thread sometime when we get the chance to look at that.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Did this happen for all clients?

There maybe something wrong with the local GalContacts DB file (address book) on the Lync client. Here are some suggestions for this issue:

1. Try to run Update-CsAddressBook on Lync Server

Execute Update-CsAddressBook to trigger the Lync Server to synchronize current Active Directory information in the SQL database into the downloadable client and device address book files.

2) Exit Lync and delete the GalContacts.dband GalContacts.db.idxfiles from the user’s profile directory:

On Windows XP workstations:

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Communicator\sip_<username@domain>\

On Windows Vista or Windows 7 workstations:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Communicator\sip_<username@domain>\

3) Please exit Lync client,force the client to download the new GAL with modifying the registry key GalDownloadInitialDelayto 0, then add the contact back again to see if it updates:

Execute the following command from the Windows Command Prompt run as an administrator (or manually add the GalDownloadInitialDelayregistry key).  Setting this value to 0 will force Lync to immediately download the address book instead of randomly selecting a time to check the server.

reg add HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Communicator /v GalDownloadInitialDelay /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Regards,

Kent Huang

TechNet Community Support ************************************************************************************************************************ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

• Edited by Kent-Huang Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:39 AM
    • Proposed as answer by ESLAM ELMOAWEN Thursday, November 01, 2012 12:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by KJSTech1 Monday, November 05, 2012 2:18 PM
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did this happen for all clients?

There maybe something wrong with the local GalContacts DB file (address book) on the Lync client. Here are some suggestions for this issue:

1. Try to run Update-CsAddressBook on Lync Server

Execute Update-CsAddressBook to trigger the Lync Server to synchronize current Active Directory information in the SQL database into the downloadable client and device address book files.

2) Exit Lync and delete the GalContacts.dband GalContacts.db.idxfiles from the user’s profile directory:

On Windows XP workstations:

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Communicator\sip_<username@domain>\

On Windows Vista or Windows 7 workstations:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Communicator\sip_<username@domain>\

3) Please exit Lync client,force the client to download the new GAL with modifying the registry key GalDownloadInitialDelayto 0, then add the contact back again to see if it updates:

Execute the following command from the Windows Command Prompt run as an administrator (or manually add the GalDownloadInitialDelayregistry key).  Setting this value to 0 will force Lync to immediately download the address book instead of randomly selecting a time to check the server.

reg add HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Communicator /v GalDownloadInitialDelay /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Regards,

Kent Huang

TechNet Community Support ************************************************************************************************************************ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

• Edited by Kent-Huang Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:39 AM
    • Proposed as answer by ESLAM ELMOAWEN Thursday, November 01, 2012 12:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by KJSTech1 Monday, November 05, 2012 2:18 PM
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:39 AM
  • Hello KJSTech1,

you need to force your Lync Server Address Book Synchronization.

you will found all info in this follow link.

Lync Address Book Synchronization

I hope support you,

Thanks a lot & best regards.

ESLAM ELMOAWEN Software Developer

• Proposed as answer by ESLAM ELMOAWEN Thursday, November 01, 2012 12:54 PM
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 12:54 PM
  • Make sure you have all the pre-requisite software installed.  If you are missing any of the components address book download to the client will fail.  Also check your certificates if those are not correct that will also cause a lot of issues.

Import-Module ServerManager

Add-WindowsFeature

telnet-client,RSAT-ADDS,net-framework-45-core,windows-identity-foundation,Web-Static-Content,Web-Default-Doc,Web-Http-Errors,web-asp-net,web-asp-net45,Web-Net-Ext,Web-ISAPI-Ext,web-isapi-filter,Web-Http-Logging,Web-Log-Libraries,Web-Http-Tracing,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Filtering,Web-Stat-Compression,Web-Dyn-Compression,Web-Mgmt-Console,Web-Scripting-Tools,Web-Client-Auth,server-media-foundation,MSMQ-Server,MSMQ-Directory,NET-WCF-HTTP-Activation45

Chad McGreanor Lync Server 2010 MCM https://cmcgreanor.wordpress.net

Friday, November 02, 2012 5:03 PM
  • Thanks Kent.  Your steps worked perfectly!
    Monday, November 05, 2012 2:18 PM
  • Kent ~

I did all of the recomended steps but didn't work unfortunately.....:( , its strange, i had to restart the IIS & frontend services, in result it worked fine to me.

BR....UKS

Friday, May 31, 2013 2:22 PM
  • My situation was somewhat different but running Test-CsAddressBookService would fail with error:

'The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.'

All clients were unable to retrieve contact unless the full sip address was entered.

Environment.

Server: Lync2013 STD

Client: Lync2010

Did the following:

Checked replication under the Topology tab in CSCP- mine had a green check.

Reinstalled .net 4.5 via add/remove programs

Registed .net by running the following from an elevated cmd (run from .net folder) : aspnet_regiss.exe -I

uninstalled Lync webcomponents from add/remove programs

From Lync install media- reinstalled webcomponents.msi (browse to \Setup\amd64\Setup)

Checked IIS>Application Pool and ensured all ASP.NET and Lync components are set to v4.0 of the .Net Framework Version

Launched the Lync setup and reran step 2: Stetup or Remove Lync Server Components.

Reran Test-CsAddressBookService:  successful

Tested Lync client: Successful

Friday, June 20, 2014 7:23 AM
  • First, see if you can browse to one of your lync servers from the PC - you should be asked for credentials. Example URL:

https://frontedgeserver.domain.com/abs/handler

• If you get nothing - or an IIS error, on the Lync server, try opening the same URL
    • Open IIS on the Lync server, ensure App Pools are running
    • In IIS, also ensure the appropriate web sites are running
    • Check eventlog for errors/cert issues etc

This should give you some direction of where to look next

Friday, August 11, 2017 6:34 AM