Migrating Hyper-V VDI machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are planning to migrate about 100 VM VDI on distributed on 8 standalone Hyper-V Server to new clustered hardware hyper-v server 

Please whats the best practice to move vms using live migration or there's any consederation should i take care about, should i migrate RDS too ?

IT Helpdesk

• Edited by MandoesaM Saturday, October 26, 2019 10:16 AM
    Saturday, October 26, 2019 10:12 AM

Answers

• If you add the RDVH role to each of the new the hosts before you move any VMs to them, then you don't have to do anything else. Add the servers to Server Manager on your broker(s), then use the RDS panel to push the role.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 3:05 PM

All replies

• Add each new node to the RDVH system list. Use Shared Nothing Live Migration to move any VM to a host in the new cluster. Add it to the new cluster. Rinse and repeat. You should script this.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Sunday, October 27, 2019 5:49 PM
  • Hi ,

For script related part , you could also find scripts in the Gallery:

Script Gallery

Forum for Script requests 

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, October 28, 2019 5:39 AM
  • Hi ,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 9:02 AM
  • Hi Candy 

Thanks for you and for Eric for help

For the hyper-v cluster i will create cluster with 4 nodes and i will use Shared nothing live Shared Nothing Live Migration to move the VMs to the cluster  i understand until this point!

But i'm confused a little bit about Remote Desktop services, could you please list the steps about what i should do after migrate the VMs from standalone server to cluster server

Thanks 

IT Helpdesk

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 3:01 PM
  • If you add the RDVH role to each of the new the hosts before you move any VMs to them, then you don't have to do anything else. Add the servers to Server Manager on your broker(s), then use the RDS panel to push the role.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 3:05 PM
  • You can use one of v2v converters, here is an overview with feature list:

http://www.vmwareblog.org/v2v-converters-overview/

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 4:55 PM
  • Hi ,

You could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Candy

Monday, November 4, 2019 6:53 AM