none
restore missing skype chat history from sql RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I have a user that is missing a chunck of chat history in skype.  It doesn't show up in either SFB or in outlook conversation history.  I looked up the chat history in our SQL backup and its all there.  Is there a way to force the user's application to resync or download the full chat history from the SQL backup?

thanks

Monday, February 11, 2019 5:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please kindly note that the chat history in SFB is stored in Exchange server actually. And the data that you could see in SQL server is just for checking from Admin side.

I’m wondering how did the user lose the chat history, in place archive or delete by himself in Outlook?

Also would you please try logging in Microsoft Office Outlook Web App to see if there is any chat history there?

If the history exists, then the history could be achieved by recreating the Outlook profile to recover.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:23 AM
  • Hi Calvin,

So the user didn't delete the chat history in the outlook nor did they get archived.  It seems that the chunk of missing chat history occurred right after he got migrated to O365.  We logged onto the outlook web app and the chat history is missing from there as well.

So to add some more detail, our corporate Lync server is on-prem 2010 and we're migrating users from Outlook 2010 to O365 mail.

Is there anywhere else I can look?

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

Would you please let us know if you have checked the EWS status from the client side? <o:p></o:p>

Please hold on Ctrl key and right click Skype for Business icon in the taskbar, click configuration information feature. On the open page check if EWS status is OK.

For your requirement, you need to make sure that you have well integrated SFB online with Exchange online (or on-premise) to view the conversation history, the following document is regarding integrate SFB online with Exchange online for your reference:<o:p></o:p>

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2614614/how-to-integrate-exchange-online-with-skype-for-business-online--lync

Also please make sure the client options are configured to save the conversation history. You can see the specific snapshot on the setting interface as below:

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 10:01 AM
  • HI Calvin,

So the EWS Internal and External URL's are blank and the EWS Information says EWS not deployed.  Is there a reason why it would be this way where as mine is configured correctly?  Everyone is migrated in the same method.  

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 4:38 PM
  • Hi,

Does only this specific user have the unnormal EWS status?

If so, please try to compare AD attribute set for the user with other normal users to see if there is any difference.

The EWS service is responsible for the SFB integration, especially for the conversation history and calendar information.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Friday, February 15, 2019 9:07 AM
  • Checked the attributes and didn't see any differences between mine and the user's in question.  
    Monday, February 18, 2019 4:41 PM
  • Looks strange... Have you tried using the problematic account to log in with other normal PC? 

If it still not works on other device, I'm afraid this user's history could not be recovered then. 

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 9:23 AM