none
The request failed with HTTP status 503: Server Too Busy RRS feed

• Question

• We just upgraded to SSRS 2016 Standard edition from SSRS 2014 and our users are receiving HTTP status 503: Server Too Busy. responses when they try to run a report.

Our server requests are not that high. It looks like the errors occur first thing in the morning or at night when the server really isn't used that often.

Is there a configuration setting that we can change so that this delay does not happen, like a time where the server can go down and recycle it's resources to refresh memory, etc.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated it.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 1:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Brad,

According to your description, when you ran reports on web portal after upgrading Reporting Service from 2014 to 2016, you got a 503 Server too busy error. And you want to make some configuration about recycle operations. Right?

There exists configurations that can achieve your requirement. As you said, you want to configure like a time to refresh memory. Then you can go to RSReportServer.config file under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS12.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer and change the property of RecycleTime. Please backup the configuration file before modification.

For more information about recycle operations, please refer:

Application Domains for Report Server Applications

If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks,
    Xi Jin.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:02 AM
  • Ok. I believe we did change this number in the past.

I just want to make sure that the first request for a report by a user does not receive a 503 error.

If the RecycleTime, that is defaulted to a 12 hour period, is creating the issue, I could set that to zero. But I'm sure this is not a good thing for the health of the ssrs service. So, if I change the value to a higher value, the recycle will occur just at a later date and my users may still have the problem.

I think that the RecycleTime should be left to the default, then I create a script or something that will make the first request for a report prior to regular business hours. Thoughts?

Why wouldn't this be built-in to the service itself after a recycle? Maybe I'm missing something here. Just seems very odd.

I looked at the ReportServerService log file for the day that the error occurred:

the user got the 503 error at Friday June 24, 2016 at 8:00 am

in the log, I see the following entry: 06/24/2016-08:00:43:: i INFO: Registering AppDomain: type='ReportServer'

So I assume this is why the 503 occurred, because the server domain was not added, why doesn't this get created automatically after a regular recycle event or event a non-regular recycle event?

• Edited by Brad Howse Friday, June 24, 2016 5:38 PM
    Friday, June 24, 2016 2:17 PM