none
Skype for Business Chatbot querying SQL Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I work in an enterprise environment and use Skype for Business for internal communications. I have developed a Chatbot to help assist customers with finding out the status of IT support tickets.

Is there a way of querying the SQL Database we hold on the ticketing system to update or check the status of the call through the code of the Chatbot?

Or would it be possible to scrape the conversation into an email transcription?

thanks for this :)

Thursday, August 17, 2017 2:01 PM

Answers

• I have two versions.  One is using the new Bot Framework, which I coded in Azure and am using both in cloud and on-premises.  The other is a basic bot using the UCMA that was built before we were in the cloud and runs on a local VM in the datacenter, answers the question, but isn't as "smart" as you have to ask it in exactly the right way.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

• Edited by Anthony CaragolMVP Tuesday, August 22, 2017 3:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by DougCam Wednesday, August 23, 2017 11:29 AM
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hi DougCam,

You can connect to the SQL Database with SQL Server Management studio and use Structured Query Language to query the database.

If you want to use code to access database and  query the database, we suggest you post in Lync SDK forum, there are more experts will help you resolve this issue, thanks for your understanding and support.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=SfB

Best Regards,

Leon-Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, August 18, 2017 7:44 AM
  • If you build the chat bot with new bot framework you can save the conversation to any DB, here once you create the BOT you need to establish the communication channel for the  Skype for business online and need to register the endpoint in skype for business online. You should skype for business online or skype for business hybrid environment for this.

For more details please visit the below link.

https://dev.botframework.com/

Friday, August 18, 2017 8:59 AM
  • I've done exactly this, I have a bot check our CRM database to determine the right people on a team who are associated with a client.  You can just ask the bot the question and it will reply with an IM.  So, it's absolutely possible.  

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, August 21, 2017 5:20 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Did you code it into your Bot or is it built into a package?

:)

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 8:56 AM
  • I have two versions.  One is using the new Bot Framework, which I coded in Azure and am using both in cloud and on-premises.  The other is a basic bot using the UCMA that was built before we were in the cloud and runs on a local VM in the datacenter, answers the question, but isn't as "smart" as you have to ask it in exactly the right way.

• Edited by Anthony CaragolMVP Tuesday, August 22, 2017 3:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by DougCam Wednesday, August 23, 2017 11:29 AM
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 3:15 PM