none
Desktop sharing not working for external Lync clients via Lync Edge, but is working for Communicator R2 clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have recently deployed a Lync Edge server.  Separate IP addresses for the Access, Web Conferencing, and AV services.

Things are working fine for external Lync client users via the new Edge except for desktop / application sharing with internal users.  i.e. A/V is fine.

The user gets a "Sharing failed to connect due to network issues" message.  I have run logging in Lync client, and on the Edge and Front End servers, but there are no messages of note.  nothing in the event logs either.  Also run Netmon traces on client machines and the servers and can't see anything of note.  there is the occasional attempted  UDP 3478 connection from the Edge server directly to the private client IP address, i.e. 192.168.1.101, though I think this might be normal.

What is quite strange is that the same Lync user that is homed to a Lync pool can use desktop sharing with no issues if logging in to the Lync Edge server with a communicator R2 client.  My understanding is that the same ports are used in both scenarios (i.e. Lync and Communicator remote access desktop sharing will use the same ports - at least that is what I can tell from the documentation).   When I run a netstat on the successful client machine I see a high TCP port connection to the Lync AV IP.  note that when running a netmon trace on the Edge server also get the occassional UDP 3478 attempt to the private IP of the remote client, hence why I think this is probably a red herring.

So I am at a bit of a loss.

Things of note about the environment -

- It is an OCS 2007 R2 / Lync 2010 coexistence environment.

- There is an existing OCS 2007 R2 Edge server which is the default federated route.

- I am currently using certificates on the public edge and TMG reverse proxy servers that have not been issued by a public CA.   However I have installed the root CA certs for the issuing CA on the Edge server and the remote client machines.

- the Lync edge service names do not exist in external DNS.  I am using hosts entries currently for testing.  

- I have applied the April 2011 cumulative updates to the Lync servers and May 2011 hotfix to the Lync clients.

Does anyone have any ideas why communicator is ok, but the Lync client is not?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in a bit of chicken and egg situation whereby my external DNS names cannot be approved for implementation until I have secured my severs - but I obviously don't want to harden the servers if things aren't working correctly.

Monday, July 11, 2011 9:30 AM

Answers

• It was Kaspersky Antivirus.. once this was turned off all was ok.  was obviously blocking some ports (Audio / Video as mentioned previously had been ok).  Anyway the point is, keep antivirus products in mind.
    • Marked as answer by SL32 Monday, July 11, 2011 6:22 PM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 6:21 PM

All replies

• Ok.  made a late breaking discovery - the issue is PC related.  Don't know what the issue is yet, however the desktop sharing works fine on one PC and not another.  Will post here again if I find out what the PC issue is.  It is not windows firewall.

• Marked as answer by SL32 Monday, July 11, 2011 6:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by SL32 Monday, July 11, 2011 6:18 PM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 10:23 AM
  • It was Kaspersky Antivirus.. once this was turned off all was ok.  was obviously blocking some ports (Audio / Video as mentioned previously had been ok).  Anyway the point is, keep antivirus products in mind.
    • Marked as answer by SL32 Monday, July 11, 2011 6:22 PM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 6:21 PM
  • when you say antivirus ,you mean on the client or on server ?
    Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:36 AM