Recovering a Lync standard edition server (IM and Presence only) RRS feed

• Question

• Considering I only have one stand-along Lync server used for IM and presence only, I should be able to fully recover by doing a full restore of the server.  Is this correct?  Also I am wondering if there are any gotchas.

Thanks.

-Mike

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 1:39 PM

Answers

•  

Yes this should work fine, as long as the snapshot is not too out of date. Obviously any changes, such as user contact list changes since the last snapshot will be lost.

I would also look at running a simple powershell script to export the config data and contact lists, just to have them in case.

Export-CSConfiguration  and DBImpExp

Hope that helps

Tom

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks
    Tom Arbuthnot, Consultant Modality Systems
    Blog: Lync'd Up Blog Subscribe: RSS
    Twitter @tomarbuthnot
    • Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Friday, June 3, 2011 7:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sharon.Shen Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:55 AM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Hi,Mike,

I think you can use windows backup or any other backup software to backup the Lync configuration if you have backup them in one location.

For your reference,here is blog about Lync Backup instruction  and introduce a script to bakup the Lync files in one location.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/uc_mess/archive/2011/03/17/lync_2d00_server_2d00_2010_2d00_backup_2d00_instructions.aspx

Regards,

Sharon

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:48 AM
    Friday, June 3, 2011 7:45 AM

All replies

•  

What do you mean by a restore, it can have a few different meanings?

Snapshot? Third Party backup product? Windows Server backup?

thanks

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks
    Twitter @tomarbuthnot
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 4:18 PM
  • NetBackup for VMWare isused to backup, so I will be able to basically restore to a previous snapshot.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 4:57 PM
  •  

Yes this should work fine, as long as the snapshot is not too out of date. Obviously any changes, such as user contact list changes since the last snapshot will be lost.

I would also look at running a simple powershell script to export the config data and contact lists, just to have them in case.

Export-CSConfiguration  and DBImpExp

Hope that helps

Tom

Twitter @tomarbuthnot
    • Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Friday, June 3, 2011 7:26 AM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Thanks Tom.

I did read through the Lync documentation and was aware of DBImpExp cmd and the Ps comdlet Export-CSConfiguration.  But I wasn't sure if I would need this in addition to my backup of my std edition server.

If so I would need to create a scheduled task and my concern is if the schedule task fails, I may never find out until it's too late.  I could also buy an scheduler agent, so these backup proceedures will be fully monitored, but that will require more $$.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 6:20 PM
  •  

Recommend doing it as a scheduled task as well as your snapshot backup, then hopefully both will run.

You can also setup the PS script to email you, but that's a little beyond the scope of the question

cheers

Tom

Twitter @tomarbuthnot
    • Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Friday, June 3, 2011 7:30 AM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 6:40 PM
  • Hi,Mike,

I think you can use windows backup or any other backup software to backup the Lync configuration if you have backup them in one location.

For your reference,here is blog about Lync Backup instruction  and introduce a script to bakup the Lync files in one location.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/uc_mess/archive/2011/03/17/lync_2d00_server_2d00_2010_2d00_backup_2d00_instructions.aspx

Regards,

Sharon

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:48 AM
    Friday, June 3, 2011 7:45 AM