none
Saving users from bad migration. Import .pst file to office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I'm trying to help a customer, saving all the mess after another commpany made a very bad office 365 migration. 
    A lot of things didnt went out as the users thought it will go. 

But one of the worst is that they are missing many emails from their archive folder on the old system. Luckily i have found a backup of the archive.pst files from all users on the server.
    But.
    When i try to import the pst files from file->open->import and then import the .pst into the mailbox, it goes well at first sight. When i return to the same folder 10-15 minutes later, the folders are empty and there is no mails inside. 

This is hardly my first experience with the office 365 and my guess would be that it some how "sync" the local outlook content with the "cloud" content.- But that the cloud content overrules the local content and thereby deleting it again. 

So.. first of all - whats the right way to import a pst file into a mailbox in o356? 

Secondly - am i right in my theory?! ;) 

Thanks in advance 

/Jesper  
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The way you tried to import emails to Office 365 mailbox is workable, messages from .pst should be synced to the mailbox but something stopped it.

Try to search the emails in the mailbox in Outlook, can you still find them?

Since I'm not sure whether you were using Cached Exchange Mode or Online Mode, switch between them and try to import, check whether there is any difference.

Please also check whether you have configured AutoArchive, which may move old emails to a local archive pst file. The old emails may be considered as need to be archived and moved to the archive pst directly.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.
    • Marked as answer by Ungermann Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:19 AM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 9:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The way you tried to import emails to Office 365 mailbox is workable, messages from .pst should be synced to the mailbox but something stopped it.

Try to search the emails in the mailbox in Outlook, can you still find them?

Since I'm not sure whether you were using Cached Exchange Mode or Online Mode, switch between them and try to import, check whether there is any difference.

Please also check whether you have configured AutoArchive, which may move old emails to a local archive pst file. The old emails may be considered as need to be archived and moved to the archive pst directly.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.
    • Marked as answer by Ungermann Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:19 AM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 9:52 AM
  • Hi Melon

Thank you for the suggestion. 

I moved the slider (account settings) to make local cache of everything instead of just 12 months, and now the mails stays in the inbox after importing..

But we cannot import the pst, outlook will just go to not responding. Even if it gets 12 hours to start again, it doesnt. 
    So we have to import every folder manual from the pst file to the inbox. 
    Good thing there is only 30-40 users.. Gonna take som days this..  

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:22 AM
  • If you want to import your PST file into Office 365 mailbox, then you can also use the Network upload method or a third-party tool for converting PST file data into Exchange Online environment. But for the better response, I also suggest you use the third-party solution. There are many applications are available so here I recommend you MailsDaddy PST to Office 365 Migration Tool. It will convert all PST data like emails, contacts, calendars, appointments, and attachments etc into the O365 Cloud platform. 

For more details, you can visit: https://www.mailsdaddy.com/pst-to-office-365-migration-tool/ 

• Proposed as answer by Pankaj Dohre Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:42 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:42 AM
  • Download and try PST to Office 365 migration tool which is much faster than other tools. Get free edition from official website: http://www.osttopstapp.com/pst-to-office-365.html
    Friday, October 12, 2018 8:41 AM
  • Hi there,

Searching on the web, I found this informative blog and thinking to my little contribution as well.

Actually, I wrote a blog about PST to Office 365 migration. This blog will help you to know how to migrate PST to Office 365 in a hassle-free manner.

Read Here: https://www.bloglovin.com/@alainajodi/pst-to-office-365-migration

Hope It works

Friday, April 12, 2019 6:08 AM
  • I would add Bitacube PST to Office 365 migration tool which would be a perfect choice for you.

https://www.bitacube.com/pst-to-office-365-migration.html

It helps to migrate PST data into Office 365 in hassle free manner.

Beside this, it also facilitate to export PST data into new PST, Live exchange server, eml, msg as well as HTML.

Friday, July 12, 2019 8:06 AM