none
Office 365 and Group Chat RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

Lync hybrid deployment with split workload/same sip domain isn't supported as of now. Groupchat server will have it's own database and server roles and it will reach out to Lync frontend only for presence information and we don't have groupchat feature on Office-365 offering. So, i don't think you can directly integrate on-premise GC with Lync online.

Note: We can federate Lync online and on-premise , if sip domains are different.

Thanks

Saleesh

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer.

• Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Monday, August 13, 2012 9:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:58 AM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:50 AM
  • Hi,

You have to federate with Lync online first. Through Lync Server 2010 federation capabilities, you can also set up federated chat rooms so business partners, customers, and vendors can participate in shared group discussions. So Lync GC can support partners, customers, students logging in from off-campus via the Internet.

Regards,

Kent Huang

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

• Edited by Kent-Huang Monday, August 6, 2012 5:31 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 5:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Lync hybrid deployment with split workload/same sip domain isn't supported as of now. Groupchat server will have it's own database and server roles and it will reach out to Lync frontend only for presence information and we don't have groupchat feature on Office-365 offering. So, i don't think you can directly integrate on-premise GC with Lync online.

Note: We can federate Lync online and on-premise , if sip domains are different.

Thanks

Saleesh

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:50 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply

would it be possible to federate our edge server and the Ofice 365 edge server ?

Do you tink that would work?

Theoreticaly what would we need to do to get it to work? we are losing out on lots of opportunities because GC wont work with Office 365.

Thanks

Enzo

Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:50 AM
  • Yes, you can federate Lync on-premise and Office 365 Lync online if both sip domains are different. Let's say, you have an on-premise Lync deployment with sip domain contoso.com and office 365 domain with contoso1.com, you should be able to setup a federation between both domain.

Following link will give more information about federation ; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh202166

But keep in mind , you will get presence , IM and PC/PC call feature via federation. GC functionality remains on-premise.

Thanks

Saleesh

Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Hi Saleesh

Sorry just to clarify.

I want Office 365 but an on premise GC server, so we can provide GC to our users.

If I federate my domain with the Office 365 domain? as explained in the link how do we set up the GC server?

Thanks

Enzo

Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Let me clarify;

Federation I was talking about was between Lync instances ie on-premise Lync and online. You cann't federate GC functionality with Lync online as office 365 doesn't have GC.

• If you want to provide GC features to employees , you need  a on-prem group chat server/DB/ compliance server etc. So that Lync online users can communicate with Lync on-prem users.
    • In addition, if you have an office 365 Lync online domain , you can federate with on-premise LYNC (not GC) to exchange IM/Prsence/Call etc.

Thanks

Saleesh

Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:58 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry to keep going back to this.

My current senario is

Office 365 including Lync for all users.

I want to install GC on Prem

If i installed an on prem Lync server and GC server federated the Lync servers would this work? would the users have 2 accounts an online and on prem? can I hide one of the accounts?

thanks in advance

Enzo

Thursday, August 2, 2012 10:28 AM
  • It wouldn't work like that.

Lync online and on-premise will be dedicated deployments. Lync Online users wouldn't get GC functionalities. Only on-premise users would get groupchat feature.

Correct , you need two different accounts if same user is enabled for Lync onprem/online. You can't mapp or hide the accounts.

Thanks

Saleesh

Thursday, August 2, 2012 10:39 AM
  • Hi,

You have to federate with Lync online first. Through Lync Server 2010 federation capabilities, you can also set up federated chat rooms so business partners, customers, and vendors can participate in shared group discussions. So Lync GC can support partners, customers, students logging in from off-campus via the Internet.

Regards,

Kent Huang

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

• Edited by Kent-Huang Monday, August 6, 2012 5:31 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 5:31 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for all your replies however, I cannot see how GC on prem will work with Lync online.

Our users would like GC however we are using Office 365.

How do we achieve this?

would this work with office 2013?

Thanks

Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:05 AM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately,GC integration is not possible with Office 365 as of now.

Office 365- next relese features are not available yet. You may need to wait for some more time.

Thanks

Saleesh

Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:25 AM