none
Problem to access on-permise ,meeting link from some Office 365 accounts. RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have all our students in the Office 365 environment and the employees in our on-premise Lync.

    We have created Lync meeting links on the on-premise Lync environment that the students with their Office 365 Lync account do access. Everything has been working fine for a year, but a while ago a few of the Office 365 users could not connect. After about 30 seconds they get the message "The conferencing service did not respond. Please wait and try again"

    The strange thing is that this is a user related error. We have tried with some problem users inside/outside firewall and on different computers. The error is consistent. We have also tried with users with no problem on the same config and it always works.

    Another error with the problem users is that added on-premise users in the Lync client get precense unknown.

    We have an open ticket at Microsoft support with this and they say that the users are all behind the same Office 365 edge server. We have been investigating this error for days with them and no luck.

    I have also tried with the problem users in the Lync 2013 preview client and there they get connected ok to the on-premise conference after about 50 seconds. Users with no problem get connected within a few seconds. The timeout period on Lync 2010 client seems to be about 30 second and we guess it would work in this client to if it has been increased.

    We have tried using the Lync logging tool and Wireshark but has not found an error. It seems like there is no trace of activity on the on-premise Lync server while problem users try to connect. They do show up in the TMG and it looks like the traffic is routed ok to the Lync frontend.

    Our Lync 2010 enterprise config is:

    • TMG
    • One Lync frontend
    • One Lync edge
    • One Lync mediation
    • One Lync reporting 

    The students are syncronized from our on-premise AD with dirsync. They have the domain name student.hint.no 

    The employess have the domain hint.no

    Internaly the student.hint.no and hint.no are in different forests with trust.  






    • Edited by Kmm3 Saturday, November 3, 2012 2:59 PM
    Saturday, November 3, 2012 2:42 PM

Answers

  • If I understand you correctly, some of the office 365 Lync account work well and some are not when join the meeting established by on-premise Lync user.

    While all the office 365 Lync account work well with another university Lync on-premise conference.

    I think the problem locus on the ABS file.

    Try to copy the other normal office 365 lync user’s file GalContacts.db to replace the office 365 Lync user’s file.

    Monday, November 5, 2012 9:48 AM
    Moderator
  • The Office 365 support found that the error was in their system. I don't have the details about the error that alsom in their system where user related, but they have now fixed it.

    • Marked as answer by Kmm3 Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:34 AM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:34 AM

All replies

  • I have checked Lync online login with problem user to another University Lync on-premise conference. This did work so i guess the problem must be some configuration error at our on-premise Lync.


    • Edited by Kmm3 Saturday, November 3, 2012 4:31 PM
    Saturday, November 3, 2012 4:30 PM
  • If I understand you correctly, some of the office 365 Lync account work well and some are not when join the meeting established by on-premise Lync user.

    While all the office 365 Lync account work well with another university Lync on-premise conference.

    I think the problem locus on the ABS file.

    Try to copy the other normal office 365 lync user’s file GalContacts.db to replace the office 365 Lync user’s file.

    Monday, November 5, 2012 9:48 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi.

    Thank you for the reply.

    I did not find the GalContacts.db file on any of the users with problem. The file is also not present with other Office 365 accounts where there is no problem. I could see this file on my on-premise account.

    Monday, November 5, 2012 12:03 PM
  • The Office 365 support found that the error was in their system. I don't have the details about the error that alsom in their system where user related, but they have now fixed it.

    • Marked as answer by Kmm3 Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:34 AM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:34 AM