Folder Recovery inside user's Inbox for EX2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who claims they had a dozen subfolders under their Inbox, yet they never delete what is contained in their Deleted Items Folder. The emails that were contained in the folders cannot be found anywhere in the user's email account, so I am wondering how the folders and their emails just disappeared.

TechNet Mikey

Friday, June 23, 2017 3:07 PM

Answers

1. Folders are not retained during a deletion just the contents are put into the Recoverable Items/Deletions folder. 
    2. Try clicking on Deleted Items folder and then Click on "Recover Deleted items from Server" to see if they appear, if so then you can recover items from there but not folders as there is no way to recover folders unless you do so from a backup
    3. How they were deleted, well hmm, if they have a phone connected with outlook anywhere suppose it could be they did it that way and if so on some its treated like a purge
    4. No filters on that are hiding the folders?
    5. Have you checked via OWA just in case the Local OST is corrupt and saying they were gone?

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

• Marked as answer by Masmus Monday, June 26, 2017 10:50 AM
    Friday, June 23, 2017 4:46 PM

All replies

1. Folders are not retained during a deletion just the contents are put into the Recoverable Items/Deletions folder. 
    2. Try clicking on Deleted Items folder and then Click on "Recover Deleted items from Server" to see if they appear, if so then you can recover items from there but not folders as there is no way to recover folders unless you do so from a backup
    3. How they were deleted, well hmm, if they have a phone connected with outlook anywhere suppose it could be they did it that way and if so on some its treated like a purge
    4. No filters on that are hiding the folders?
    5. Have you checked via OWA just in case the Local OST is corrupt and saying they were gone?

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

• Marked as answer by Masmus Monday, June 26, 2017 10:50 AM
    Friday, June 23, 2017 4:46 PM
  • Hi Mikey,

Except above suggestions, I will check the following as supplement :

1. Please check if the mailbox has been granted full access permission to other user, so that another user accesses his mailbox and delete the item.
    2. Check the inbox rule, there maybe a inbox rule has moved the item to a specific folder which stores in local, instead of mailbox.

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 26, 2017 6:49 AM