none
Lync cannot sign in because the server is temporarally unavailable

Question

• When starting Lync with an enabled user I get the message "Cannot sign in because the server is temporaly unavilable". Started CP - Topology : Shows :

- Application Server OK (Green icon)

- Central Management OK

- Central Management Database : N/A

- Conferencing Server Stopped (Red Icon)

- Filestore : N/A

- Registrar : Stopped

- User Database : N/A

- User Server : Stopped

- Webserver : OK

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:32 PM

Answers

• Looks like you msissed "c" in get-cscertificate. I guess it is really late in Europe ;).

If you are not too experienced I would recommend you to build the first server in the Lab using the step-by-step I sent. It will clear up some questions.

MS recommends to start even earlier than Topology builder - from Planning Tool. It gives you graphical representation of your infrastructure with names and IPs. After that you export the configuration to Topology Builder and tune up there.

Regards,

-Alex

• Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:51 AM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:06 PM

All replies

• Ok, in the deployment wizard, run step 4 Start services, then click the final run button (opens services.msc) , scroll down to the Lync services and make sure they all start.

-Mac

EDIT: if the services fail to start, check the Lync event log for reasons why.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Ok, Step 4 shows NO errors

Services show some services as started others : no status. When for example startin the service "Lync Server IM Conferencing" it sais "Started then stopped .. some services stop automatically ....

Which ones should show "Started" ?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:58 PM
  • For sure, the Lync Server Front-End should be started.  Most others depend on it (as does the client)
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:00 PM
  • And yes ... lots of errors in event viewer .. Can I somehow send you Log ?.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:00 PM
  • Before we get that far, during step3, did you request certs AND assign them to all services available in the wizard (Default, webservicesexternal,webservicesinternal)
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:01 PM
  • Mmmm ... noy sure anymore ... Laybe I should rerun that step ?
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:04 PM
  • I only see default certificate assigned ...
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:06 PM
  • If your "default" certificate has all necessary names that should be fine.

What is your "default" cert? Did the server received it with autoenrollment from CA or it is a certificate you requested from wizard?

Check if DNS has SRV and A records necessary for Lync and name of A record for your pool is the subject name on the cert you assigned to the server.

-Alex

you can take a look at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=709d1609-a62a-47bd-baa4-6221dfd3c34c if need a guidance for certificates for Lync.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:14 PM
  • As for the certificate .. I have no clue ... How can I see this ?

The DC DNS has a Host(A) record pointing to the IP address of the Lync Server

There's also a _sipinternaltls SRV record in DNS.

Is this me being unqualified or does the Lync product at this stage (RC) still so "manual" :-) ?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:23 PM
  • if you created the certificate from Lync Server Wizard, added all necessary names to it and assigned it to the server Lync will be configured automagically. ;)

Nothing new comparing to OCS btw.

Certificates are one of OCS/Lync pilars.

Run MMC, add certificates snap-in for Local machine and check if the certificate you assigned to the server has correct Subject name (the name of the pool) and correct Subject Alternative Names.

You can Re-run the certificate step in deployment Wizard, request a new certificate (you use your Enterprise CA, right?) put correct names in the Wizard and assign this new certificate to the server (Lync services should be restarted after that).

Lab guide I refered to may be quite useful.

-Alex

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:31 PM
  • From the lync powershell, do the following:

get-cscertificate

This will list off all of your services that have or need certs assigned

Paste the output here.  (Edit domain names as you feel appropriate)

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:35 PM
  • @Mac .. that cmdlet get-csertificate does not seem to exist ?

@ALex .. I have downloaded the guide . maybe it's best to re-do everything from scratch using the guide ?

@Both : Thanks so much for your great support !!!!!! As it is getting a bit late here in Belgium... I go to bed now ! :-)

Thanks Guys !

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Looks like you msissed "c" in get-cscertificate. I guess it is really late in Europe ;).

If you are not too experienced I would recommend you to build the first server in the Lab using the step-by-step I sent. It will clear up some questions.

MS recommends to start even earlier than Topology builder - from Planning Tool. It gives you graphical representation of your infrastructure with names and IPs. After that you export the configuration to Topology Builder and tune up there.

Regards,

-Alex

• Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:51 AM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:06 PM
  • I had this same problem. I was able to resolve it by requesting a new certificate from my local Certificate Authority, and issuing it to all roles.

I hope this helps you and others!

• Proposed as answer by Bill Bullers Tuesday, February 01, 2011 11:01 PM
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 11:00 PM
  • Can't sign into Lync...Microsoft Outlook 2010 (Not Responding...AGAIN)...

Is there someone at Microsoft that has a clue what they're doing?

I'm not saying that Microsoft is totally incompetent...they've actually done an excellent job on as far as BUSINESS matters go (e.g. breaking the backs of competition, creating a mega-monopoly that the courts turn a blind eye to because of the Golden Rule, etc.) but as far as the actual SOFTWARE, it would be helpful for those of us USERS if they would hire some seventh graders to help them with code.

Sunday, May 08, 2011 2:57 PM
  • rb918,

Am I sensing an irony in your comment? Looks like you are implying Microsoft is “somewhat” incompetent, not “totally”, because thousands of deployments are successful, but yours not???

Let’s leave this aside and concentrate on the problem you have. This is your first post here - the common practice is to describe the problem in details.

Drago

http://www.lynclog.com
    Sunday, May 08, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Has anyone found a real fix for this issue.  The marked answer basically instructs to rebuild from scratch.  That can't possibly be the fix for this issue in a live deployment.

In my case, I have random users receiving the error:  Cannot sign in because the server is temporarily unavailable.

These users are external clients and from different areas of the country.  All internal clients connect with no issue.  The majority of external clients also connect with no issue.

If there are any suggestions for troubleshooting this condition, I'd love to know about them.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:08 PM
  • One more thing I would like to add here that the Lync Server Frontend service will start successfully and will stopped again. The problem will that the users will not be able to sign-in and will face the below error

Lync cannot sign in because the server is temporarally unavailable

Resolution:

You will find a patch of lync server name Server. just deploy it. You may get this patch from the Lync Server CD or from microsoft web

Any comment will be appreciated ________________________________ Thanks Zahid Haseeb zahidhaseeb.wordpress.com
    Monday, September 26, 2011 9:07 AM
  • Alex,

I'm a newbie to getting a Lync environment setup and stuck on the same sign on message as I've seen in this thread.  Actually I'm pretty much a newbie to the MS server envirnment itself.  Would you be able send your Step-by-step guide to me, please and thank you?

Bill

Friday, January 27, 2012 5:06 AM
  • For me, just installing Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant (msoidcli.msi) took care of the problem. I'm in Exchange Server envronment.

Monday, April 08, 2013 11:44 PM
  • For me, just installing Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant (msoidcli.msi) took care of the problem. I'm in Exchange Server envronment.

Monday, April 08, 2013 11:44 PM