none
Why am I getting UM error when I don't use UM??? - Event 1446-The Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging service on the Mailbox server failed to process the message with header file RRS feed

• Question

• My frustration with Exchange 2013's seemingly random error messages seems to continue to grow :)

I have a single Exchange 2013 Server. I migrated from from 2007 about 4-5 months ago. We have never used the UM feature of Exchange, it was not installed on our previous 2007 server and we don't use it 2013. We don't use Lync or anything like that.

All of a sudden this morning I see I am getting an error in the event logs about UMCore being unable to process a message. Huh?? I've copied and pasted the event below. Has anyone seen this and can tell me why I am getting this all of a sudden?

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSExchange Unified Messaging
    Date:          11/1/2015 1:39:16 AM
    Event ID:      1446
    Task Category: UMCore
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      name.domain.local
    Description:
    The Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging service on the Mailbox server failed to process the message with header file "c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\UnifiedMessaging\voicemail\c443a982-b6c4-4f0b-a9d1-6e20cdf84642.txt" within "4" minutes. The server will continue to process and deliver the message, but the "MSExchangeUMAvailability: % of Messages Successfully Processed Over the Last Hour" performance counter will be decreased.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="MSExchange Unified Messaging" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49156">1446</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>2</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-11-01T06:39:16.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>906242</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>name.domain.local</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\UnifiedMessaging\voicemail\c443a982-b6c4-4f0b-a9d1-6e20cdf84642.txt</Data>
        <Data>4</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Sunday, November 1, 2015 6:55 AM

Answers

• If you do not use UM service just disable it on the Exchange.

It will be not made this error.

Thanks

Sunday, November 1, 2015 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

In Exchange 2013, there are only two roles (CAS and Mailbox server role) to replace the five roles in Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2007.

Additionally, Client Access servers running the Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging Call Router service and Mailbox servers running the Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging service enable you to deploy Unified Messaging (UM) and voice mail functionality for users in your organization.

If you don't use the UM in your environment, please disable the following two services in Exchange 2013:

Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging Call Router service
    Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging service

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hello 

Thanks for the question.

I will suggest to check if any mailbox enabled for UM.

Another thing you check is the authentication tab of your receive connectors. Exchange server authentication should be enabled.

Check the FQDN for the connector to match with server name.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question .

PREM RANA

MCSE Exchange 2013, MCSA 2012 Server MCTS Exchange 2007,

2010, MCITP Exchange 2007, 2010 MCSE 2003 Server,

MCSA Exchange 2003 ITIL V3 Foundation

https://ranaprem.wordpress.com/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

Sunday, November 1, 2015 7:38 AM
  • If you do not use UM service just disable it on the Exchange.

It will be not made this error.

Thanks

Sunday, November 1, 2015 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

In Exchange 2013, there are only two roles (CAS and Mailbox server role) to replace the five roles in Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2007.

Additionally, Client Access servers running the Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging Call Router service and Mailbox servers running the Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging service enable you to deploy Unified Messaging (UM) and voice mail functionality for users in your organization.

If you don't use the UM in your environment, please disable the following two services in Exchange 2013:

Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging Call Router service
    Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging service

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 7:46 AM