none
Scheduling Assistant - Attendee Pane width too narrow for Room names RRS feed

• Question

• In our organisation we use Outlook 2007 to organise meetings, with a long list of possible meeting rooms. Usually I go into Outlook Calendar, click on New (Appointment), select Sheduling Assistant (on the meeting tab) and then add rooms via the bottom left button. Most of our room names are 38 characters long (or so) but the "All Attendees" pane is only wide enough to show 26 characters, so that the full address is not shown unless you make the cursor hover over the name.

Is there a way to make the Attendee pane (in Scheduling Assistant) wider?

Alternatively how can anyone forward the suggestion of making the width adjustable to Microsoft?

Regards

A New Zealand user.

Friday, April 27, 2012 1:10 AM

All replies

• Its by design . !

Customizing this Page is not possible .

Thanks

Satheshwaran Manoharan | Exchange 2003/2007/2010 | Blog:http://www.careexchange.in | Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you

Friday, April 27, 2012 5:13 AM
  • Yes it is by design in Outlook. As a workaround, you may change the display names of your Room mailboxes, for example, from prefix1-prefix2-Room1 to room1-suffix1-suffix2.

If it brings any business impact, you may you may select Microsoft Advisory Services option. Microsoft Advisory Services provides short-term advice and guidance for problems such as product migration, code review, or new program development as well as requests for consultative assistance for design, development and deployment issues. For specific information about the types of Advisory Services available, visit the <http://support.microsoft.com/gp/advisoryservice> web page.

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 30, 2012 8:53 AM
  • Hi Sathesh, Can you please communicate that it is a bad design and that it needs improvement? I hope they fix this because it is an unexpected an unreasonable limitation. It would not even fit your name. We should be able to adjust the All Attendees pane as we would any other pane in a multi-pane window. 

Thank you!

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:42 PM
  • Thank you Fiona. That workaround does not work if you are at a large multinational company as I am, and have no control over the room names and such. Even if i did have control, they necessarily need to state the location (city) to differentiate them and help make them easier to find in the huge list of rooms, for example, which itself is not sortable or filterable by column. You can filter to "All Rooms" but cannot filter by location or do a keyword search with wildcards, so it is very limiting. And yes, there is a business impact to this. Thank you for the tip about microsoft advisory services! I will take a look at that.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:49 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem, and I imagine tens of thousands of users around the world are in a similar situation. 

It makes it extremely difficult to find which room is free in a certain building, on a certain floor if the room number is first in the name. (Believe me, our company tried it and it had to be changed).

We use "resource identifier (eg. room) / building location / floor / room number" and it's a problem

Although outlook is a great product, it's support for room bookings is extremely poor - worse than Lotus Notes!

• Edited by Tom Beer Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:14 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Craxyonekid Thursday, February 26, 2015 2:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Craxyonekid Thursday, February 26, 2015 2:18 PM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:13 PM
  • To see the complete details select reply all with Email.  I never send the email but I do see the entire names and locations of the meeting,  I then cut and paste the details into the body of the invite.
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 2:24 PM
  • This is madness that the width is not configurable. A lot of users use wide monitors and could easily have this wider without affecting use. Having to hover over room names to see them is madness. Companies can't have the name prefixed for sorting reasons.
    Monday, July 13, 2015 9:58 AM
  • Companies can't have the name prefixed for sorting reasons. Why can't this be made configurable to _help_ people?
    Monday, July 13, 2015 9:59 AM
  • This is madness that the width is not configurable. A lot of users use wide monitors and could easily have this wider without affecting use. Having to hover over room names to see them is madness. Companies can't have the name prefixed for sorting reasons.
    Agreed. Huge limitation and tremendously poor design.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 3:37 PM
  • I have to agree that this limitation is maddening for software that is generally well thought out.  Our organization has multiple regional locations around the world.  Our room list is extremely long and multi-part naming is necessary making the names too long to display.  I have to add my voice to the those asking for a developer to spend 1 day to make all our lives better.
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:53 PM
  • I'm going to add my frustration to this.  In Outlook 2016, how can this be an issue?!  No scroll bar even.  By the time you have "<Companyname>MeetingRoom" the entire width is used up, meaning no suffixes are visible without hovering.  Surely it would take such a short amount of time to convert this fixed pane into one of a moveable size (or add zoom functionality or a scroll bar)...?
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 12:30 PM
  • This exact problem. Good report and good clarifications by TinaMcD.

This must have been reported thousands of times over the years. Still not fixed in outlook 2013 and onwards.

On the other hand, this appears I guess mostly with large corporations, the workers/users of which are used to crappy IT solutions, and of course a negligeble source of licenseincome for MS. :-D

Count me as one of those users. After typical scheme of <SITE\LOCATION\OFFICENAME> - <ROOMNAME> not much is there, so you cant see room capacity and if it is videoconf or not, which is typically encoded as suffixes in the name.

BR! /marcus

• Proposed as answer by RMRZ Thursday, February 15, 2018 10:07 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RMRZ Thursday, February 15, 2018 10:07 PM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 4:11 PM
  • I found that by unselecting "Time Zones" my "All Attendees" column automatically adjusts to the width of the longest name.  I have not experimented with really long names but it's working for the addresses I've tried.  I hope this helps.  
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 10:11 PM
  • This option has been made available from Outlook 2016 version 1808. I was able to verify the same. Couldn't find an article to confirm the same though
    Monday, October 15, 2018 11:08 AM
  • This option has been made available from Outlook 2016 version 1808. I was able to verify the same. Couldn't find an article to confirm the same though
    I have Outlook v. 16.0.4849.1000 and the problem still present.
    Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:12 AM