none
can LAPS be updated via windows update? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Community,

we want to use LAPS (Local Admin Password Solution) and one question raised. Can LAPS be updated via Windows Update to keep the Client Side Extension up to date on client computers?

Monday, August 19, 2019 12:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• LAPS allows you to manage the local Administrator password (which is randomized, unique, and changed regularly) on domain-joined computers. These passwords are centrally stored in Active Directory and restricted to authorized users using ACLs. Passwords are protected in transit from the client to the server using Kerberos v5 and AES

You need to update the Active Directory schema.LAPS is also only capable of managing the local Administrator account on domain-joined machines or a custom local Administrator account if you create your own local Administrator account. 

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:26 AM
  • yes i know that but my question was: is it possible to keep the client side extension up to date on client computers via Windows Update?
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:13 AM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately, I didn’t find the related windows 10 update for Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Melankani Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:40 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 5:50 AM
  • so it seems it is not possible to keep it up to date via Windows Update. Thanks anyway!
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:38 AM