none
Mac client will not allow Join as Guest RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried to connect to a Skype for Business meeting using the app on a Mac but it won't let me click Join as guest.  The button clicks, but nothing ever happens.  I do not get an error or any other sort of response.  I have gone through the uninstall and cleanup process but it doesn't change anything.  The Web App plugin doesn't work on Firefox nor Safari but it seems to work on Chrome, so I do have a workaround, but it doesn't open the links automatically in this manner as Chrome is not my preferred default browser.  I have downloaded and installed the latest version of the app, but it's dated back on 6-21-19.  I feel like there must have been an apple update or something that broke this functionality... 
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 1:27 PM

Answers

• I had a similar issue and turns out, in my case - that clicking on the URL from a meeting invite was the issue.

It would redirect me to Lync etc and start up the Skype for Business app for Mac. And the "Join as Guest" button did nothing.

So - to get around this, I started the Skype for Business app first and then copied the URL from the meeting invite.

This showed me the option to "Enter Meeting URL", as well as my name and "Join as Guest".

This worked and I was able to join the meeting.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 3:50 PM

All replies

• Hi jmarlowe,

Do you use Mojave OS?

I suggest you update the OS to the latest to check if it helps.

According this following blog, to use the Skype for Business for Mac desktop app to join meetings, do the following:

1. Download and install the SfB desktop app from https://aka.ms/SfBMacDownload. (Note that the installer currently requires you to have administrator permissions on your computer, but we will remove that requirement soon.)
    2. If you have been using Skype Meetings App to join meetings, clear the cookies in your default browser.
    3. When you click to join a meeting, select the option to use the desktop app.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Skype-for-Business-Blog/Skype-Meetings-App-improvements-on-their-way/ba-p/280828

I noticed you have installed the latest Skype for Business for mac client. Please have a try to use developer mode in Safari, try different “User Agent”, and open the invitation link to see the results.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:25 AM
  • I had a similar issue and turns out, in my case - that clicking on the URL from a meeting invite was the issue.

It would redirect me to Lync etc and start up the Skype for Business app for Mac. And the "Join as Guest" button did nothing.

So - to get around this, I started the Skype for Business app first and then copied the URL from the meeting invite.

This showed me the option to "Enter Meeting URL", as well as my name and "Join as Guest".

This worked and I was able to join the meeting.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 3:50 PM
  • interesting... I haven't tried that option... I'll see how it goes once the next meeting comes up... 
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 3:58 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any update on this case?

Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 9, 2019 8:33 AM
  • I do not have an update... it can be a few weeks between meetings... if it doesn't work the next time, I'll be sure to come back in and update everyone... 
    Monday, September 9, 2019 11:40 AM
  • I'm having the same issue. I tried using the above method of opening the Skype for Business app first and then pasting in the URL. That worked better in that the button activated the join to meeting. But the app then simply spins and can't connect to the meeting.
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:54 PM
  • Sadly, I haven't had anything come up lately that required us to try it... 
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 4:03 PM