none
Lync server backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have Lync server in a virtual machine on Hyper-v 2008 R2. Is virtual machine backup enough for lync recovery?

Thanks...

Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:05 AM

Answers

• It is not recommended to backup virtual machine for lync recovery.

Virtual machine need to be shut down when your backup it. You must backup it manually. But the lync database can be backuped everyday automatically, and the lync database can be backup when it is working.

At last, the vurtual machine file is very large, it need more cost to store device.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by emre arslan Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:16 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Emre,

As a simple answer, I believe that No.

This will depend on many factors actually; topology, number of servers, changes in users contact lists, conferencing scheduling.

There are many risks and parameters needs to be studied to plan your backup and restore plan. To assure not loosing a bit, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh202160.aspx

Best Regards,
    Hany Taha | UC/Voice Infrastructure Consultant | Technical Consultancy Services | Nile.Com | Mobile: +20 (10) 01686836
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:22 AM
  • It is not recommended to backup virtual machine for lync recovery.

Virtual machine need to be shut down when your backup it. You must backup it manually. But the lync database can be backuped everyday automatically, and the lync database can be backup when it is working.

At last, the vurtual machine file is very large, it need more cost to store device.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by emre arslan Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:16 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:55 AM
  • Thanks Xiao. I will implement database backup/recovery...
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:17 AM
  • Please take a look at my blogpost on how to create a backup:

http://lync2010tips.blogspot.com/

Saturday, January 28, 2012 5:25 PM