none
Lync 2010 Integrated to Avaya CM with Session Manager- FQDN limitation workaround? RRS feed

• Question

• We are connecting an Avaya CM6.2 with Session Manager (SM) direct SIP to Lync 2010.  The config notes say the limitation is that the SM does not handle an FQDN as sip domain name.

Does anyone know hwo to work around this?

Inbound calls work just fine.  On outbound calls we get Host not trusted in the SM.  We have tried with the company.com and also the FE.company.com in the SM programming.  The Lync is sending the @Fe.company.com.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I know the other option is a SIP gateway (dialogic or such).

• Edited by BiggJake Monday, September 24, 2012 3:36 PM
    Monday, September 24, 2012 3:30 PM

All replies

• Please use the configuration notes on this page
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/gg131938.aspx#tab=2

Aura Session Manager Direct SIP 6.0.1

Configuration Notes:

• On Lync Mediation Server, Media Bypass and REFER are set to disabled. Testing found Media Bypass does not work for inbound calls and REFER is not supported.
      • TLS and SRTP are not supported by Avaya and as a result need to be set to disabled on Mediation Server.

Known Limitations:

1. Avaya does not support using an FQDN in the connection field.
    2. Comfort noise generation is not supported. As a result, comfort noise is not played on Lync.
    3. Testing found when calls routed to Avaya Audix voice mail may hear partial audio followed by disconnection.
    Communications Manager SIP Enablement Services Direct SIP 4.0

Documentation: Integrating Microsoft Lync Server 2010 and Avaya Communications Manager S8300

Configuration Notes:

1. On the Avaya IP-PBX, the configuration requires setting "Alternate Route Timer(sec)" value from default of 10 sec to 30 sec. The configuration should show "Alternate Route Timer(sec): 30" in the corresponding SIP signaling group.
    2. On Lync Mediation Server, Media Bypass and REFER are set to disabled. Testing found Media Bypass does not work for inbound calls and REFER is not supported.

Known Limitations:

1. When a Lync user transfers a PBX call to another PBX user, the local PBX phone will still show connected to the first Lync user.
    2. When a call is ringing to a Lync user, the caller (either on an Avaya station or a PSTN line routed through the PBX) will not get a ring-back tone. This issue has been resolved by Avaya with the 5.2.1 SP1 software release.
    3. Monitoring reports will not contain information regarding jitter and packet loss.
    4. Comfort noise generation is not supported. As a result, comfort noise is not played on Lync.
    5. ISDN Failover is not supported from a Lync perspective. If the Avaya PBX is being used for PSTN connectivity and multiple T1s are being utilized, a Lync client will not retry a call based on a T1 being unavailable. It may be possible to configure the PBX to not assign outbound calls from Lync to an unavailable T1, but this configuration was not tested.

- Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-lync.be - MCM/MVP/MCT

Monday, September 24, 2012 8:19 PM
  • The PBX person was able to make it work in the Sessions Manager with some adapatations.
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 12:25 AM
  • The PBX person was able to make it work in the Sessions Manager with some adapatations.
    I know this thread is a little old but we are experiencing the exact same thing.  If your PBX person wouldn't mind sharing these adaptations could save a few headaches!
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:14 PM
  • imasig:

Apply the following adaptation to your Lync entity in Session Manager.

Module Name = DigitConversionAdapter

Module paramter=  fromto=true iosrcd=domain.com iodstd=domain.com osrcd=IP.IP.IP.IP odstd=IP.IP.IP.IP

If you look at the Help link when on the adaptation page you will see the details of what each parm stands for.  Essentailly you are converting domain_name to IP address on egress and IP address to domain_name on ingress.

We have this working and it is flawless. We currently have an issue with Unified Messaging due to the port redirection.

• Edited by dhotep Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:28 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:57 PM
  • Hi,

Integrating Lync Server and Avaya CM

can be useful document for you.

Небывает нерешаемых проблем, бывает мало времени

Sunday, March 31, 2013 8:37 PM
  • Please explain the parameters of the adaptation

Friday, May 3, 2013 10:23 PM
  • Dear,

Can you please give us an example on what you mentioned. I am struggling since a week to find the correct parameter but could not.

I have two different domains, Avaya domain and Microsoft Domain.

Example:

Avaya Domain: myname.com

Microsoft Domain: myname.com.qa

Another fact is that we I remove the domain from signaling group, the calling between two servers works fine, but some Avaya users faced internal calling issue.

I have System Manager, CM, and Session Manager 6.2, Microsoft Lync 2013.

Appreciate your help.

Monday, December 16, 2013 4:57 AM
  • question...in the documentation, this module parameter is on the communications manager adaptation, not the Lync adaptation. And what IP addresses are you referring to?...the domain controller of the domain, mediation server, or session manager.
    Friday, April 11, 2014 5:16 PM
  • Hi Ruzieh,

I'm currently in the process to integrate Microsoft Lync 2013 with our Avaya CM 6.3.

I see that you already did it.

I have couple question for you regarding the

Please email me at : lparent@adt.ca

Thanks!

Luc P.

Monday, March 19, 2018 2:32 PM