Failover Cluster - Cluster Storage permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, I have next scenario. In our company we are using powerhell to provision new virtual machines, we also using service user which doesn't have admin rights on Hyper-V hosts, this user excecutes scripts remotly on our Hypers.

Sometimes we have problems, because that user can't delete old folders of virtual machines from location C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1.

This user already have full ClusterRights. I want to give that user FULL rights on C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1, \Volume2 folder and so on.

Can you give me some advice, because i didn't find anything helpful on internet regarding to this. Current owner of ClusterStorage\Volume1 is System. Should I change ntfs permissions directly on ntfs volume or?

Thank you

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 2:02 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

I have test in my lab and I could delete the old folders with the following steps:

1.Create a user account in DC.(For example, called candy)

2.The host which you want to delete old CSV called A. Add the user account candy to the local administrators groups.

3.Then allows candy user account to use RDP connection to the HOST A. And then the user account could delete the old CSV in host A.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. 
    Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 8:50 AM
  • I'm curious too!

like what affect would taking ownership of c:\clusterStoraget\volume1 with local adminsitrators group have?

did you ever just do it and what was the result?

(I like things tight, so I want to remove "everyone" who have no rights, and add a security group with change rights, not bandaid and add people to local admin group--I'm just using my csv vols as file shares)

this is now a question for server 2019 (still a good question years later)

"All things are possible, but not all things are permissible"

Wednesday, August 5, 2020 5:31 PM