none
Authentication failures RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having trouble with users authenticating in Lync 2013 to a Lync  Server 2010 on reinstalled Windows workstations. We've used Lync for a few years with no issues.

Last Friday I installed Windows updates on all of our servers, including the Lync Server, and it seemed to go well. No issues with users connecting or functionality. That was until I setup a few new Windows 7 installs with all the usual Office 2013 software. 

Lync will not authenticate either a newly created user or an existing user (who can login just fine on his own computer) unless I remove the computer from the domain. At that time, Lync authenticates like it should. But once I join the domain, no user can authenticate. 

I'm stumped.

Saturday, June 7, 2014 12:00 AM

Answers

• Make sure that the newly installed workstations have the internal Certificate Authority imported to the computer accounts Trusted Root Certificate Authorities.

Also, if you right click on the Lync icon in the task bar you will see a an option called Sign-in logs, this may provide you with more details.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer"
    Lync Sorted blog

Saturday, June 7, 2014 8:13 AM

All replies

• Make sure that the newly installed workstations have the internal Certificate Authority imported to the computer accounts Trusted Root Certificate Authorities.

Also, if you right click on the Lync icon in the task bar you will see a an option called Sign-in logs, this may provide you with more details.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer"
    Lync Sorted blog

Saturday, June 7, 2014 8:13 AM
  • Hi,

Please also double check the firewall setting for these new installed computers.

Please also check Security on Lync Server Control Panel, make sure all authentication methods clicked.

You can refer to the link below:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/nexthop/archive/2012/11/28/lync-2010-client-authentication.aspx

Best Regards

Eason Huang

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 13, 2014 6:49 AM
  • The server may be asking for Kerberos authentication and Communicator is not able to find the Kerberos Domain Controller in order to generate credentials and authenticate.  The network administrator will need to change the configuration on the server to utilize only NTLM authentication before Communicator can login from this location properly, or connectivity will need to be made available to an authenticating authority

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer" Mai Ali | My blog: Technical | Twitter: Mai Ali

Sunday, June 15, 2014 9:21 AM