Digitally signed VBA project , discards certificate after changes saved RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have a VBA project signed with a Trusted root certificate from our CA, however when some users attempt to save changes to the excel template they are presented with the message "You have modified a signed project. You do not have the correct Key to sign this project. Signature will be discarded. do you want to save changes and discard signature or cancel the save action."

This issue is random and i cannot find a common link between the users who are unable to save this template.

I have checked whether this was issue with the users being a local admin on their pc's - no link found

I have checked the certificates located in certmgr - no link found

I have checked to see whether the users were running windows 8.1 or windows 10 - the issue does not discriminate it happens to users on both operating systems

Sunday, March 20, 2016 8:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Ivy,

Please check if this issue appeared when your macros would insert or delete a worksheet into the workbook. It turns out that because each worksheet has macros specific to that worksheet adding or deleting worksheets effectively modifies the macro source code.

Which version of Office program did you use?

Which version of Office program did you create the Digital Signature?

I suggest you refer to this article to explain the reason of this problem:

http://help.turbolaw.com/hc/en-us/articles/200711666-Warning-message-You-have-modified-a-signed-project-You-do-not-have-the-right-key-to-sign-this-project-The-signature-will-be-discarded-

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it's helpful.

Regards,

Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 21, 2016 7:15 AM
  • Hello, I have similar situation can't sign digitally VBA project in Excel after change in macro in spite of the fact project previously was signed with exactly the same (code signing) certificate. My VBA: Retail 7.1.1097 Forms3: 16.0.12827.20056 Microsoft 365 for business:  16.0.12827.20336 Windows 10 Pro 1909 OS Build: 18363.836
    Thursday, July 2, 2020 1:21 PM