none
Convert-SPWebApplication new parameter -From RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi all,

    I've a SharePoint 2013 with SP1 on installation ISO + CU April 2014 and I can't migrate my Datadase from SharePoint 2010 Classic Auth to SharePoint 2013 Claims Auth with command:

    Convert-SPWebApplication -Identity "SharePoint WebApp Name" -To Claims -RetainPermissions

    I have the message that -From parameter is missing but in the Microsoft Technet Help there is't this parameter:

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219696(v=office.15).aspx

    Anyone have idea of this problem?

    Many thanks.

    Raffaele

    Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:35 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Hi Raffaele,

    Could you give me more detailed steps that you did for the migration?

    If you want to use the command, you need to create a classic auth in SharePoint 2013, then attach the database of the SharePoint 2010 classic auth web application to it, then convert it to Claims Auth.

    Here is a TechNet article about converting Classic auth to Claims auth, please take a look at it, and pay attation to  the second option:

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg251985(v=office.15).aspx

    I hope this helps.

    Thanks,

    Wendy

    Forum Support

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.


    Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

    Friday, May 23, 2014 2:51 AM
    Moderator
  • Try:

    Convert-SPWebApplication -Identity http://webAppUrl -From Legacy -To Claims -RetainPermissions


    Trevor Seward

    Follow or contact me at...
      

    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

    Friday, May 23, 2014 3:35 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

    yes, I apply TechNet article and I used the option "-From Legacy" but specific users migration not work with this errors, for every users:

    SPWebApplication
    'd64e863e-9c8c-4b8a-ac07-5386d261e04e', SPContentDatabase
    '7dc6cafa-ec50-4928-ae2f-9b3d8f35a746', SPSite
    'af167da4-29e1-47c9-83c5-7457416d05dc', SPUser '2667': Starting migration of
    user.

    SPWebApplication
    'd64e863e-9c8c-4b8a-ac07-5386d261e04e', SPContentDatabase
    '7dc6cafa-ec50-4928-ae2f-9b3d8f35a746', SPSite
    'af167da4-29e1-47c9-83c5-7457416d05dc', SPUser '2667': Could not get migration
    data for entity so SKIPPING. Check migrator for further logs. Entity Old Name:
    'DOM\user1', Old Key 'S-1-5-21-607600752-1324559839-5522801-4633', New
    Name: 'i:0#.w|DOM\user1', New Key '.

    Same error of this post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/395716eb-09db-45ac-a5c3-ec116a3e9716/with-sp1-april-2014-cu-issue-converting-to-claims?forum=sharepointadmin

    I've just open a case on Microsoft Premier Support... I'm waiting.

    Without April 2014 CU all work fine.

    Bye and thanks.

    Raffaele



    Friday, May 23, 2014 11:16 AM
  • That's correct, there is a significant code change with the conversion process in the April CU and... it doesn't work.

    Trevor Seward

    Follow or contact me at...
      

    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

    Friday, May 23, 2014 12:52 PM
    Moderator
  • This bug is resolved in the June 2014 Cumulative Update.

    Trevor Seward

    Follow or contact me at...
      

    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.


    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:06 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Trevor,

    and the new parameter -From?

    Is it confirmed? Because is not present on official docs: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219696(v=office.15).aspx

    Bye!!!

    Raffa!


    Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:35 PM
  • Yes, the new parameter is required. No, the docs have not been updated yet.

    Trevor Seward

    Follow or contact me at...
      

    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

    Thursday, June 12, 2014 9:06 PM
    Moderator
  • This saved my day,  We had Apr 2014 CU installed on our server and we started getting this issue when migrated one database from SharePoint 2010.

    Even after installing June 2014 - CU we have been prompted for "From" parameter,  I provided "Legacy" to "From" and it started working.

    Thanks..


    regards, Sudhir Kesharwani

    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:00 PM
  • Hi Seward,

    But our environment is at September 2014 CU level...as SEP 2014 covering all previous CUs?

    Please advise.

    Monday, November 24, 2014 5:28 AM
  • This work for me, thanks
    Friday, January 30, 2015 2:32 PM
  • Big thanks from Greenland.

    This solved it, for me.

    I was at the CU for November 2015, and still strugling with this.

    I had a couple of users, that couldn't be converted, but after searching for the SID's, I found that it is old deleted users.

    The Command I used to check the SID with was:

    ([System.Security.Principal.SecurityIdentifier]("ENTER_SID_HERE")).Translate([System.Security.Principal.NTAccount]).Value

    <Entire command is one line>

    It doesn't ask for the SID, you have to enter it, between the Quotation marks

    If the user exists, it replys with DOMAIN\USER

    Else it gives a script error. 

    Exception calling "Translate" with "1" argument(s): "Some or all identity references could not be translated."

    Thursday, November 26, 2015 3:15 AM