none
Managing a physical workstation from RDS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I think I know the answer to this as I cannot find any information about it.

Is it possible to manage a physical Windows 10 workstation in Microsoft VDI?  I know the clue is in the word virtualization but you can do this with VMWare.

The reason for the question is to give the user the ability to RDP to their workstation using the security of RDS Gateway and associated servers.

Many thanks

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is it possible to manage a physical Windows 10 workstation in Microsoft VDI? 

I think the answer is no. But you can utilize RD Gateway to remote to the physical Windows 10 workstation.

Reference link:

Standalone RD Gateway Server without RDS Infrastructure

https://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/33710/Standalone-RD-Gateway-Server-without-RDS-Infrastructure.html

<cite style="margin:0in;font-family:Calibri;font-size:9.0pt;color:#595959;"> </cite>

Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ukkaapie Thursday, November 21, 2019 11:53 AM
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is it possible to manage a physical Windows 10 workstation in Microsoft VDI? 

I think the answer is no. But you can utilize RD Gateway to remote to the physical Windows 10 workstation.

Reference link:

Standalone RD Gateway Server without RDS Infrastructure

https://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/33710/Standalone-RD-Gateway-Server-without-RDS-Infrastructure.html

<cite style="margin:0in;font-family:Calibri;font-size:9.0pt;color:#595959;"> </cite>

Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ukkaapie Thursday, November 21, 2019 11:53 AM
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:37 AM
  • Hi Jenny,

That is absolutely amazing.  Thank you so much for the link.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 11:53 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you can allow users to connect to their internal workstations via RD Gateway, however, please note that each user/device (your choice) that will use RDG requires an RDS CAL.  The article that Jenny linked to incorrectly states that RDS CALs are not required.

If using RDG in Azure/AWS/other shared provider as mentioned in that article, then each user connecting through RDG requires an RDS User CAL (can't use Device) and Software Assurance or for SPLA environments they would need a RDS User SAL.  Exception would be for dedicated/isolated physical host options, which cost several thousand dollars per month in Azure for one example.

On a related note I am developing an add-on that will allow you to publish an icon to RD Web Access so that each user can connect to their internal physical workstation using RD Gateway.  When each user logs on to RDWeb or their RD client they would see icon for their desktop.  Advantage is the user doesn't need to manually configure the connection settings for their PC and the icon integrates with the other published RDS resources such as RemoteApps/Desktops for RDSH servers, etc.

Thanks.

-TP

Thursday, November 21, 2019 12:30 PM