none
Disable/Remove Help from users Office Communicator 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have a deployment of office communicator 2005 to over 2000 users, but want to disable or remove their HELP menu from them. Please can you tell me if there is a registry key, group policy, or any other method which we can employ to remove their help menu.

The only ones I can find are below, but dont think that these can help:

A custom entry can be placed in Communicator 2005 Help menu, allowing customized support for company employees. When the user clicks the menu command, a Web page is displayed in a separate browser window.

An administrator configures this feature by creating two entries in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE portion of the registry hive. This is accomplished by modifying the Registry or updating the Communicator.adm file.

Registry Key Name

Description

HelpMenuURL

Descriptive text for the URL of the site to be displayed when clicked.

HelpMenuText

The display text in the Help menu. Can be a maximum of 32 Unicode characters long.

The Web page is displayed in a separate browser instance, but not in Communicator 2005 contacts window.

Placing registry keys in:

·         HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Communicator

·         HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Communicator

It is important to note that the registry keys in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE hive take precedence.

Both keys should be REG_SZ. If they are the incorrect type or missing data, Communicator 2005 cannot recognize them.

Source Deployment guide 2005

can you assist,

thanks
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• It can't be removed, only modified to point to a custom location using the GPOs that you referenced.
    Mike Stacy | http://mikestacy.typepad.com
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Is there nothing that can be done to remove the existing entries or repoint them to an intranet page as these keys just allow an extra customized entry and link to be placed alongside the current help links which will always fail and generate helpdesk calls.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:28 AM
  • Hi
    Sure, it could add extra link in the customed help menu.
    Please ensure you can open the URL using ie.

If i misunderstand your issue please tell me.

Regards!
    gavin
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:41 PM
  • Hi
    Sure, it could add extra link in the customed help menu.
    Please ensure you can open the URL using ie.

If i misunderstand your issue please tell me.

Regards!
    gavin

Hi, Yes you have mis-understood!

I need to disable/remove the existing links because when the user clicks on them the URL fails as they have no proxy or internet capability. Adding an extra menu item doesnt really solve the problem. I want to be able to remove the existing links
    rob
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:31 AM
  • Hi
    Per my known, it is by design, if you want to achieve the target, you would need do some development.
    You could publish your issue on below forum,
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/uc

Regards!
    gavin
    • Marked as answer by fujitsuuk Monday, February 22, 2010 3:28 PM
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:58 AM
  • thanks for all posts!
    Monday, February 22, 2010 3:28 PM