none
How to integrate On premise Lync with Office 365 Lync using the same domain RRS feed

• Question

• Office 365 is going to be configured with the same domain as on-premise Microsoft Exchange using a hybrid deployment.  We want to know what are the supported configuration to integrate On-premise Lync with Office 365 Lync.  Users are going to be migrated from Microsoft Exchange to Office 365 but we want to keep on-premise Lync in order to provide PSTN and video conferencing integration.

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 4:13 AM

Answers

• Office 365 and Lync 2010 currently does not support a split-domain scenario where the same SIP domain is shared between Office 365 and an on-premise deployment of Lync 2010. Lync services must be hosted all on-premise or all in O365. The only way to integrate the two environments is via federation, which implies that the two environments must have different SIP domains.
    • Proposed as answer by Adam Curry Wednesday, October 3, 2012 1:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Angela230 Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:36 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Hi,

This scenario is supported by the Lync Server 2013 hybrid deployment. A hybrid deployment is a deployment in which some users are homed on-premises and some users are homed online, but share the same domain. For more about Lync Server 2013 Hybrid deployments, please refer the TechNet Library: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj204805(v=ocs.15).aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Sean_XiaoModerator Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angela230 Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:35 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:59 AM

All replies

• Office 365 and Lync 2010 currently does not support a split-domain scenario where the same SIP domain is shared between Office 365 and an on-premise deployment of Lync 2010. Lync services must be hosted all on-premise or all in O365. The only way to integrate the two environments is via federation, which implies that the two environments must have different SIP domains.
    • Proposed as answer by Adam Curry Wednesday, October 3, 2012 1:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Angela230 Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:36 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Does Lync supports to have Office 365 as part of its topology?  In this scenario, Office 365 Lync users will use Mediation Server, Audio/Video, and Edge server services from on-premise Lync for federation, pstn calls, and video conferencing.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 4:45 PM
  • Hi,

No , it is not possible to configure office 365 Lync online part of on-prem topology. As suggested by Jamie, You can enable federation between on-premise and online using different sip domains.

Thanks

Saleesh

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Hi,

This scenario is supported by the Lync Server 2013 hybrid deployment. A hybrid deployment is a deployment in which some users are homed on-premises and some users are homed online, but share the same domain. For more about Lync Server 2013 Hybrid deployments, please refer the TechNet Library: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj204805(v=ocs.15).aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Sean_XiaoModerator Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angela230 Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:35 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:59 AM
  • Sean,

Does Lync 2013 on premise require 'Wave 15' Lync Online for the hybrid deployment or will we be able to support this hybrid deployment with an already existing Lync Online installation?

Monday, November 26, 2012 1:14 AM
  • Hi, i'm interested in the answer, too. Is Wave15 required on Office365 Backend? How do i know if my tenant will be migrated to Wave15? Any updates on this? Regards
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:37 AM
  • Hi, I guess by know you know, but for the record, your tenant must be migrated to Wave 15 so that your backend is lync 2013. All tenants will be migrated along the year, you will receive a notification as explained here: http://community.office365.com/en-us/wikis/upgrade/what-to-expect-during-the-service-upgrade.aspx

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 9:07 AM
  • Hello,

Is this still suitable?  I was under the impression that Microsoft is ending hybrid deployments.  I will dig up the article a little later and edit this post but I want to be sure because a Lync 2013 on-prem and Office 365 integration would be epic for us.

Thanks,

Joseph

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:00 PM
  • Microsoft's response to this is Skype Cloud PBX which is long overdue. Finally it eliminates the need of an on-premises PBX system and you can use a single cloud account both for IM and VoIP.

ATM you can use the SFB 2015 client to make calls (so it's basically a softphone), but I'm pretty sure Polycom and the likes are working hard to release a standalone deskphone that you can use exclusively with an Office 365 account. That + "better together" (i.e. when there's a deskphone connected to your PC, it'd ring that, otherwise you'd get the call on the PC) would make it actually epic.

Unfortunately Cloud PBX is only available in the US yet, but they promised to release it worldwide before the end of 2015. Fingers crossed. See the roadmap at success.office.com/en-us/roadmap for more info.

• Edited by Berke Viktor Saturday, September 26, 2015 3:47 PM
    Saturday, September 26, 2015 3:43 PM