Migrating users from OCS 2007 to LYNC 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My current OCS 2007 environment has the clients connection to the OCS environment manually configured using a GPO.  During my testing I've noticed that moving user's from OCS to LYNC has and not updating their client to point to the LYNC pool has not effected communications.  So it seems that even though the user has been migrated to the new pool the old pool seems to act as a proxy.  Is this in fact the proper conclusion?

We have users spread out through different OUs and each OU has different GPOs.  My original thought was to have migrated users moved to separate OU without having to change all of the GPOs.  Then I would update the GPO handling the OCS client configuration to point to the new LYNC pool.  But it seems I don't have to go that route if in fact my previous conclusion is true.  I can then move all users at once and then update the GPO accordingly.

Please let me know if my conclusion is valid.

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:08 PM

Answers

• You are correct, the old pool will act as a Proxy to the new pool. Your conclusion is also correct just modify the GPO once all users have moved and then decommision the old pool.
    • Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:50 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:26 PM
  • Hi,
    Agree with ALANMAD. Just for your reference, here are other tips for migrating OCS to Lync:
    http://blog.insideocs.com/2011/01/11/lync-ocs-migration-top-10/
    Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:13 AM
  • Hi

Agree with both Kent and Alan, one thing to think about when you do the decomission is that once you upgrade your clients to Lync the support for GPO does have it's limits, read not so many configuration options since they are controlled from the Lync server.

I'd investigate to see if you could start use DNS instead and use a group of Lync clients as a pilot to remove the need of a custom GPO if possible.

/Tim

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:01 AM

All replies

• You are correct, the old pool will act as a Proxy to the new pool. Your conclusion is also correct just modify the GPO once all users have moved and then decommision the old pool.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:26 PM
  • Hi,
    Agree with ALANMAD. Just for your reference, here are other tips for migrating OCS to Lync:
    http://blog.insideocs.com/2011/01/11/lync-ocs-migration-top-10/
    Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:13 AM
  • Hi

Agree with both Kent and Alan, one thing to think about when you do the decomission is that once you upgrade your clients to Lync the support for GPO does have it's limits, read not so many configuration options since they are controlled from the Lync server.

I'd investigate to see if you could start use DNS instead and use a group of Lync clients as a pilot to remove the need of a custom GPO if possible.

/Tim

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:01 AM