none
Difference with AD security groups and mail enabled security groups RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to figure out the difference between "mail enabled security group" and AD "security group", when I'm making a group with users for adding Full Access and Send AS permissions on a shared mailbox .

Since giving fullaccess with a "AD Security group" won't automap the mailbox in outlook, I read that changing it to a "mail enabled security group" would make automap work, so I did this in exchange managment shell:

Enable-DistributionGroup -Identity "name"

and for permission I used:

"Add-MailboxPermission -Identity "Mailbox Name" -User "Group name" -AccessRights FullAccess -InheritanceType All -AutoMapping $true "

Does this work for the mailbox to be automapped in the users outlook?
    I'm also a bit confused about this "mail enabled security group", it shows up in the EMC under groups (the security groups we normally use are only in AD) and it has it's own e-mail addressees? What is actually the function of a mail enabled security group, since it gets it's own mail address and how will this show up for the users that are members? 

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 7:27 PM

All replies

• I'm trying to figure out the difference between "mail enabled security group" and AD "security group", when I'm making a group with users for adding Full Access and Send AS permissions on a shared mailbox .

Since giving fullaccess with a "AD Security group" won't automap the mailbox in outlook, I read that changing it to a "mail enabled security group" would make automap work, so I did this in exchange managment shell:

Enable-DistributionGroup -Identity "name"

and for permission I used:

"Add-MailboxPermission -Identity "Mailbox Name" -User "Group name" -AccessRights FullAccess -InheritanceType All -AutoMapping $true "

Does this work for the mailbox to be automapped in the users outlook?
    I'm also a bit confused about this "mail enabled security group", it shows up in the EMC under groups (the security groups we normally use are only in AD) and it has it's own e-mail addressees? What is actually the function of a mail enabled security group, since it gets it's own mail address and how will this show up for the users that are members? 

Its how its described. A security group that you can send messages to . If you give a group full access to a mailbox, it does not automap however. The user will have to add the mailbox manually.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 9:06 PM
  • Hi,

Mail-enabled security groups are used to distribute messages as well as grant access permissions to resources in Exchange and Active Directory. Here are some related documents for your reference:

Recipients

Manage mail-enabled security groups

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Thursday, September 19, 2019 5:23 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm with you how the thing going now?

If you need further help, please provide more detailed information, so that we can give more appropriate suggestions.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 1:23 AM