none
S4B 2016 Basic on Windows 7 - Address Book Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have a current migration in place where we are moving our users from Skype for Business 2015 server to Skype for Business 2019 server. We have identified an issue which we can be very specific about. Basically any of our users who have Skype for Business 2016 Basic clients running on Windows 7 SP1 machines cannot query the address book for contacts. In any situation of a partial search the user just gets "No Matches" instead of a list of possible contacts.

A few things to this..

1) If the user types in a full email address into the search bar it does indeed find the person, it is just partial searches that aren't working.

2) From the server side I have configured policies for both FileDownloadOnly and WebSearchAvailability and neither of them are working. The FileDownloadOnly method is not creating any GalContacts files in the users SIP folder and WebSearchAvailability just doesn't do anything.

3) If we move the user back to 2015 server, their address book begins to work instantly.

4) On the 2019 servers I have tried multiple things including recreation of the ABS files, ran the test commands against the AB and the webservice etc. On the client side I have tried deleting the SIP folders, deleting the reg keys, forcing immediate download etc.

5) From the client we can indeed get to the ABS internal links that the Config Information shows (we get the credentials challenge) so this appears fine.

6) This happens for ANY user on ANY machine where the windows 7 OS is present. If we sign in the same user into Skype 2016 basic on a windows 10 OS the address book works fine.

7) We have tried implementing TLS 1.1 and 1.2 on the client side.

8) A ticket with Microsoft leads them to believe the issue is with a proxy server in the way. However, we categorically have no proxy server in between client and server on any of these machines.

9) All latest patches have been applied on the client and the server.

I have researched and trialled multiple things and just running out of options and hours now so would appreciate any additional pointers to something I may be missing in how ABWQ or GAL downloads work.

Thanks all, Lamby

Monday, November 18, 2019 12:26 PM

Answers

• I have actually managed to solve this one myself. After running a few wiresharks I could see when querying the address service using a windows 7 machine it was attempting the initial client server hello on TLS 1. I did a bit of googling on the configuration of Windows 7 and TLS and came across the below article..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3140245/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-default-secure-protocols-in-wi

Half way down this page is a download button which runs an MSI on the client which correctly enables whatever is required for the client to enable TLS v1.1 and 1.2. After running that and rebooting the address book returns results and I can see via wireshark it is now attempting the handshake on TLS v1.2.

Interestingly, if you just follow the section at the bottom of that web page for enabling TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 using the SCHANNEL registry keys then it does NOT fix the problem. So whatever else is ran when that MSI file runs is the magic sauce that fixed the problem. This has fixed both the WebSearchOnly and the FileDownloadOnly options on the CsClientPolicy.

• Marked as answer by RecLambyUK Friday, November 22, 2019 3:23 PM
    Friday, November 22, 2019 3:23 PM

All replies

• Hi RecLambyUK!

From your description, do you mean you can search user well in Skype 2015 and in Skype 2019 cannot search the user on a windows 10 OS?

We recommend you check your deployment about user migration. For more details, you can refer to the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/migration/migration-to-skype-for-business-server-2019

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:06 AM
  • Hi Jimmy, no the above is not correct.

A user on Windows 7 using Skype for Business 2016 Basic CANNOT search the address book when the user is homed on Skype for Business 2019 server. When the same user is homed on Skype for Business 2015 it works fine.

If the user is home on 2019 server and signs into Skype on a windows 10 OS then they can search the address book.

And again, worth pointing out that if they type the full email address of the user in the search it does find the contact.

Thanks, Lamby.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:02 AM
  • Hi RecLambyUK!

If the user is homed on 2015 server and signs into Skype for Business Basic 2015 on a windows 10 OS, can you search the address book?

I tried to search some documents to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Run the command “Test-CsAddressBookService -TargetFQDN” to check if the user has access to the Address Book File.
    2. Set the Certificate Revocation DWORD and to 0 and test if you can retrieve the address book. Then check your Certificate Revocation List, look at the details tab and check the CRL Distribution Point to see if it is valid.

For more details, you can refer to the following article:

http://blog.danovich.com.au/2009/11/04/office-communicator-error-cannot-synchronize-address-book/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/skype/test-csaddressbookservice?view=skype-ps

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 10:41 AM
  • Hi Jimmy, thanks again for your efforts in trying to help.

You are correct on the first point, the same user can sign in and search the address book just fine on any windows 10 OS. It is just windows 7 which is leading me to believe its possibly related to TLS versions.

The command for testing the address book comes back clean with no errors so don't believe there is an issue there. I have also just tried the CRL suggestion you posted but it makes no difference unfortunately.

Thanks, John.

Friday, November 22, 2019 12:37 PM
  • I have actually managed to solve this one myself. After running a few wiresharks I could see when querying the address service using a windows 7 machine it was attempting the initial client server hello on TLS 1. I did a bit of googling on the configuration of Windows 7 and TLS and came across the below article..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3140245/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-default-secure-protocols-in-wi

Half way down this page is a download button which runs an MSI on the client which correctly enables whatever is required for the client to enable TLS v1.1 and 1.2. After running that and rebooting the address book returns results and I can see via wireshark it is now attempting the handshake on TLS v1.2.

Interestingly, if you just follow the section at the bottom of that web page for enabling TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 using the SCHANNEL registry keys then it does NOT fix the problem. So whatever else is ran when that MSI file runs is the magic sauce that fixed the problem. This has fixed both the WebSearchOnly and the FileDownloadOnly options on the CsClientPolicy.

• Marked as answer by RecLambyUK Friday, November 22, 2019 3:23 PM
    Friday, November 22, 2019 3:23 PM