none
ntvdm slow startup

Question

• when i start any console-program from the command-promt (for example edit) i takes about 5 sec before i starts. the second time it starts instantly (that is if i don't exit the command-prompt). It seems like it takes long time to load ntvdm.exe. It's the same when i start the program from windows desktop, with the differnce that ntvdm unloads when the program exits and the start of the program i equally slow ewery time due to the fact that ntvdm unloads.

thanks in advance for any help.

Friday, April 11, 2014 9:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Use Task Manager to view the cpu and memory usage of the ntvdm.exe, for example, launch edit command prompt, then Ctri-Shift-Esc, launch Task Manager\process tab\scroll down to ntvdm.exe, view the usage. (you can compare the data with that normal PC)

Run a security scan in case there're some virus causeing the slow startup issue.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you mean that the MS-DOS-based programs are starting up slowly? Did you see some errors?

Please check if this blog is helpful

Optimize How Windows 7 Runs 16-Bit and MS-DOS-Based Programs

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff756590.aspx

Yolanda Zhu

Monday, April 14, 2014 5:10 AM
  • Did not make any difference. No errors. The same works on a different machine with the same windows 7 version.

Monday, April 14, 2014 7:20 AM
  • Hi,

Use Task Manager to view the cpu and memory usage of the ntvdm.exe, for example, launch edit command prompt, then Ctri-Shift-Esc, launch Task Manager\process tab\scroll down to ntvdm.exe, view the usage. (you can compare the data with that normal PC)

Run a security scan in case there're some virus causeing the slow startup issue.

Yolanda Zhu

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:41 AM
  • Hello,

We are experiencing same problem with brand new computers.

After many hours of browsing, searching and testing, we have found that this problem only occurs with 4th generation of Intel processors AND using that processor as graphic card.

On the same computer, use of another graphic adapter solve the issue, as use of windows8 does by the way.

We have also the problem on a Toshiba laptop using i5 4xxx processor.

Intel forum : https://communities.intel.com/message/234383

But still no solution :(

• Proposed as answer by CaptainTaurus Tuesday, February 23, 2016 3:25 PM
    Thursday, May 08, 2014 7:52 AM
  • hello again!

i can confirm that my processor is intel core I5 4570 and the graphics are intel hd graphics.

I also put in another graphic adapter and the problem disappared.

this is an acceptable solution for me since i have tower computers, where i can put a cheap graphic card.

Monday, May 12, 2014 6:57 AM
  • This has got to be real embarrassing to someone.  Microsoft or Intel?  Some testing somewhere should have identified this as a problem so this could have been fixed from the start.  I'm betting this is a Intel bug since it can be solved by installing a different graphics card.  I cannot imagine it taking 5 seconds to do anything in an Intel processor.  Maybe an error timeout?  I have heard that Windows 8 does not have this problem; but I know that The Windows 10 technical preview DOES have this problem.  If Windows 8 does not have this problem, then I am not so sure that it is not a Microsoft problem?  How can users bring attention to this problem to get a quick fix?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:13 PM
  • Agreed, there has to be a way of gettng this working. In an ideal world we'd upgrade all of the software at once but there are some legacy applications in large companies that are pretty much irreplaceable. As I understand it, the general gyst from Intel is that they didn't even think of testing for 16 bit app compatibility. This shodul be resolved in one of two ways:

Microsoft:

This is a software issue as this does not occur on Windows 8 but does on Windows 7 and Windows 10 technical preview. A patch for the affected systems would be the best bet.

Intel:

A bios update that addresses the interoperability issues between 16-bit apps and 4th generation chipsets with integrated hardware.

I don't mean to seem bitter but I am guessing that there aren't enough affected users to warrant any investigation and neither company will accept that this is an issue within their remit.

A support request has been raised and should anything come of this I will update the thread, I woudln't advise holding your breath for a quick resolution though! :-).

Monday, July 13, 2015 3:08 PM
  • I analyzed this problem with the Intel VGA BIOS and wrote a bugfix for it, in case anyone is still interested:

http://www.waldbauer.com/vb/showpost.php?p=8095&postcount=6

Saturday, October 15, 2016 11:05 AM