none
Cannot run Hybrid Configuration Wizard: RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have downloaded the HCW from https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2015/09/04/introducing-the-microsoft-office-365-hybrid-configuration-wizard/

This is a tiny 16KB run-once application that, according to the article, is supposed to pull down the rest of the application so you are always using the latest version. 

However, when I run it I get...

"Cannot download the application. The application is missing required files. Contact application vendor for assistance."

The 'details' button reveals the log, which shows the important bit...

ERROR SUMMARY
    Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
    * Activation of C:\TEMP\Microsoft.Online.CSE.Hybrid.Client (1).application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
    + Downloading file:///C:/TEMP/Application Files/Microsoft.Online.CSE.Hybrid.Client_16_0_1539_7/Microsoft.Online.CSE.Hybrid.Client.exe.manifest did not succeed.
    + Could not find a part of the path 'C:\TEMP\Application Files\Microsoft.Online.CSE.Hybrid.Client_16_0_1539_7\Microsoft.Online.CSE.Hybrid.Client.exe.manifest'.
    + Could not find a part of the path 'C:\TEMP\Application Files\Microsoft.Online.CSE.Hybrid.Client_16_0_1539_7\Microsoft.Online.CSE.Hybrid.Client.exe.manifest'.

I have tried from various computers, under various logins. The .exe has also been 'unblocked' (right-click, Properties, Unblock)

The manifest file which this error relates to is presumably on a Microsoft server, so is it a problem at Microsoft's end?

Can someone try to run it and let me know if it opens for them? It is not working for me at 16:07 GMT on 5th Jan.

Regards

Thursday, January 5, 2017 4:08 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. We are running Exchange 2010 SP3 with the latest Rollup #16 available now.

I took a look at this again, clicking on the link shown below

IE gets opened, but as I'm running this on the Exchange server, it obviously doesn't get very far due to the hardened configuration of IE.

It was at this point that I attempted to download the hybrid wizard elsewhere and copy to my Exchange server. I used the link in my original post, which Allen_WangJF also links to. This gave me...

16kb in size.

Running this, I get...

So, I dediced to just copy the link that was originally opening in IE on my Exchange server and paste this into another browser on another PC. It redirected to...

https://configure.office.com/Scenario.aspx?sid=33

From here, I was prompted to download this...

52Kb in size.

I have just run it and it complained about needing .NET 4.5 full installed, so having done this I am waiting for a maintenance window so I can reboot the server before continuing. However, I think this is what I need to continue.

Odd that the link on the Exchange blog and what my Exchange server provided point to seemingly different hybrid wizards...? I'll mark this as the answer, but will re-open this if I also get errors with this new wizard.

• Marked as answer by Andrew S. James Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:44 PM
    • Edited by Andrew S. James Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:47 PM included the specific rollup version
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:44 PM

All replies

• Try with this way:
    1. Navigate to the Hybrid node in the on-premises Exchange server admin console
    2. Click Configure in the Hybrid node to enter the required Office 365 credentials
    3. Log in to Office 365 with the Global Administrator account credentials
    4. Click Configure to start the Hybrid Configuration wizard
    5. Click Here on the Microsoft Office 365 Hybrid Configuration Wizard Download page to download the Hybrid Deployment wizard
    6. Click Install on the Application Install dialog when prompted
    7. In the On-premises Exchange Server Organization section click Next
    8. Select Detect a server running Exchange 2013 CAS or Exchange 2016.
    9. And continue the rest....

Also verify if your office firewall having any rule and it blocking such files to download!!

Thursday, January 5, 2017 4:53 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply. We are actually running Exchange 2010 (there was no forum option for Ex2010, so chose Ex16 as I thought that would be more active than Ex13).

Anyway, in Ex2010, In Exchange On-Prem > Organisation Configuration, I have three tabs

Hybrid Configuration (empty) << this is what I am trying to setup
    Federation Trust (configured)
    Organization Relationships (empty)

I have tried downloading the application, and running it on a computer outside of my domain via a different firewall and I got the same error! I have just tried again 08:15 GMT on 6th Jan.

Regards

Friday, January 6, 2017 8:15 AM
  • You must have Exch 2010 Service Pack 3, and follow this guide 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2016/02/17/office-365-hybrid-configuration-wizard-for-exchange-2010/

Watch the video guidance.
    • Edited by PK Sarangi Friday, January 6, 2017 9:39 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2017 9:36 AM
  • Hello James,

How about open it with IE, then download Microsoft Office 365 Hybrid Configuration Wizard again for testing?

It will auto download, save it in desktop instead of save file in Download folder.

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 6, 2017 9:59 AM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. We are running Exchange 2010 SP3 with the latest Rollup #16 available now.

I took a look at this again, clicking on the link shown below

IE gets opened, but as I'm running this on the Exchange server, it obviously doesn't get very far due to the hardened configuration of IE.

It was at this point that I attempted to download the hybrid wizard elsewhere and copy to my Exchange server. I used the link in my original post, which Allen_WangJF also links to. This gave me...

16kb in size.

Running this, I get...

So, I dediced to just copy the link that was originally opening in IE on my Exchange server and paste this into another browser on another PC. It redirected to...

https://configure.office.com/Scenario.aspx?sid=33

From here, I was prompted to download this...

52Kb in size.

I have just run it and it complained about needing .NET 4.5 full installed, so having done this I am waiting for a maintenance window so I can reboot the server before continuing. However, I think this is what I need to continue.

Odd that the link on the Exchange blog and what my Exchange server provided point to seemingly different hybrid wizards...? I'll mark this as the answer, but will re-open this if I also get errors with this new wizard.

• Marked as answer by Andrew S. James Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:44 PM
    • Edited by Andrew S. James Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:47 PM included the specific rollup version
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:44 PM
  • Great, thanks for your sharing.

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:04 AM
  • Same issues as you.  Downloaded "HybridSetup.exe" on 2018-01-11 and it requires .net 4.6.2.   Hrmph.
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:38 PM
  • I got this error no matter what I did when I was downloading in Chrome. Downloaded in IE and it ran no problem.

Peter

Monday, July 9, 2018 9:01 PM