none
Video Resolution Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having issues with my Lync environment, the video resolution is very grainy and blocky.

The camera I have is a lync certified Logitech C910 HD camera and I have also ran the Set-CsMediaConfiguration cmdlet and set the resolution to 720p and restarted the front end service on the FE Server.

As well as this both computers at both ends are quad core machines and have enough RAM however the video I am getting is very grainy and no where near 720p even in full screen, is there anything else I need to do to set p2p video calls to HD?

I have also read on a technet thread that HD is possible with conferencing, does anyone know how you go about this?

Thanks

Craig

Friday, July 29, 2011 12:16 PM

All replies

• You can typically tell by the aspect ratio if CIF/VGA (4:3) or 720p (16:9) is used, so is the video poor due to either (a) lower negotiated resolution (b) data transmission issues causing packet loss, jitter, etc or (c) malfunctioning optics?  A 'grainy' video typically means poor optics or lighting, where a 'pixelated' video could mean low resolution or poor connectivity (data loss)

Also 720p resolution is not possible with any conferencing handled by the Lync AVMCU as it is limited to VGA resolution regardless of any policy settings or the individual endpoint's capabilities.  In order to support HD conferencing you'll need to integrate with a third-party hardware solution like the Polycom RMX:
    http://blog.schertz.name/2011/02/polycom-and-lync-video-integration/

Jeff Schertz, Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP
    Friday, July 29, 2011 12:40 PM
  • Ah right, I understand.

The video on peer to peer seems like blocky and rough edges, i suppose pixelated is a good word for it actually. Certainly not HD.

Friday, July 29, 2011 12:42 PM
  • Do you have Edge services deployed with Open Federation?  You could call me from one of those workstations and I could tell you quickly what resolution is negotiated.

Friday, July 29, 2011 12:59 PM
  • I do have an edge server, i think i set it to have open federation as well. In my external access policy and access edge policy federated users are allowed.

I have tried the camera plugged into a high end PC i have in the office, a video call off this machine does display at the recieving end in 16:9 so im guessing this is 720p as you say. However on another machine i plugged the camera in and it displayed in the narrow 4:3 aspect ratio, this machine has an i5 2.7GHz quad core processor and 4gb of RAM.

Friday, July 29, 2011 1:27 PM
  • If would like some assistance with testing calls you can email me directly; my address is listed on my blog site: http://blog.schertz.name/about/

Friday, July 29, 2011 3:26 PM