none
RE: Chatting Disabled on Skype for Business Mac Office365 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm on a Mac but when I join sessions using the skype for business Mac client the chat feature is disabled? Why is this? Basically, I cannot join meetings now on Mac. See screenshots below:

• Edited by ResidentX10 Friday, February 15, 2019 11:37 AM
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:27 AM

All replies

• Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:28 AM
  • Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:28 AM
  • My Mac Skype version is 16.24.191

Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:37 AM
  • Hi,

I’m wondering if you made any changes before the issue occurs or it never works well in your Mac?

If it never works normally, did it affect all Mac users in your organization or only you are encountering this issue?
    Besides, could it run well when you try logging in with other devices, like Windows desktop client or mobile client?

If it only impacts your Mac, please try to clean the SFB cache on your Mac and refer to the following ways:
    • Log out and quit Skype for Business.
    • Open Finder, locate the following folders, and then delete them:
     /Users/Home Folder/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Microsoft Lync Data
     /Users/Home Folder/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Microsoft Lync History
    • Go to Finder > press Command+Shift+G > type in /users/<MacUsername>/library > delete the following files:
    • Containters > com.microsoft.SkypeForBusiness
    • Internet Plug-Ins > MeetingJoinPlugin.plugin
    • Logs > LwaTracing
    • Saved Application State > com.microsoft.SkypeForBusiness.savedState
    • Preferences > com.microsoft.skypeforbusiness.plugin.plist
     Open Keychain Access from /Applications/Utilities folder.
     Delete all keychains starting with Skype For Business.

If it still not work, please try a clean uninstall and try to reinstall on your Mac, maybe something in the installation not correctly working.
    https://support.microsoft.com/ms-my/help/3202833/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstallation-of-skype-for-business-on-mac?lipi=urn:li:page:d_flagship3_profile_view_base_recent_activity_details_shares;b4ZWqb%2FSRHK%2FxTlWXpJf%2Fg%3D%3D

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 6:14 AM
  • Never worked...I have meetings today so I'll use the mac to attend to them. Thanks
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 11:24 AM
  • The Windows client I have no problems with. I don't use mobile...not powerful enough.
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 11:26 AM
  • I'm on a Sharepoint SIG call now and the chat is muted/disabled again...
    • Edited by ResidentX10 Friday, February 8, 2019 6:07 AM
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 3:04 PM
  • Here's the image:

Thursday, February 7, 2019 3:07 PM
  • Hi,

If it works on Windows desktop, then it is not caused by account issue.

Do all the Mac users in your organization have this error when join meetings?

If only you encountered this issue, please try a clean uninstall and reinstall referring to the following article, maybe something in the installation not correctly working.

https://support.microsoft.com/ms-my/help/3202833/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstallation-of-skype-for-business-on-mac?lipi=urn:li:page:d_flagship3_profile_view_base_recent_activity_details_shares;b4ZWqb%2FSRHK%2FxTlWXpJf%2Fg%3D%3D

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 8, 2019 1:48 AM
  • Yes, all users are experiencing this. I've already uninstalled and reinstalled on 10 machines today. 

Friday, February 8, 2019 3:18 AM
  • I have more meetings tomorrow. If this fails with the new installs, I wanted a bug ticket opened on this. I have documented all my issues properly now and in the past and I need Microsoft to own this bug. 
    • Edited by ResidentX10 Friday, February 8, 2019 5:47 AM
    Friday, February 8, 2019 4:04 AM
  • Hi,

If all Mac users have such issue, then I'm wondering if you have deployed Reverse proxy for your organization?

The Mac client has the same requirements as our mobility clients in that you must have an Access Edge Server and Reverse Proxy deployed in a supported configuration.

Here more details: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/plan-your-deployment/clients-and-devices/mac-requirements#infrastructure-requirements-for-skype-for-business-on-the-mac

If you have Reverse proxy already, please check and make sure the certificate for RP is not overdue and all the SANs are well configured.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Friday, February 8, 2019 5:22 AM
  • Enough!! All you do is make up stuff! Don't post on the thread anymore...
    • Edited by ResidentX10 Friday, February 8, 2019 5:47 AM
    Friday, February 8, 2019 5:42 AM
  • Hi,

Skype for Business online or on-premise?

Did it work when you IM with others out of a meeting? 

Chat can be disabled in a meeting if the organizer want, and it could also create a IM disabled meeting with Outlook. 

I think you could do a test to create a meeting as organizer, also confirm with the meeting organizer.

Friday, February 8, 2019 7:12 AM
  • Office 365/Cloud PBX Service...
    • Edited by ResidentX10 Friday, February 8, 2019 1:40 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2019 1:39 PM
  • How does a user disable chat when creating a meeting? I would imagine that would only be for both platforms not Mac only. 
    Friday, February 8, 2019 1:41 PM
  • I had another call today. Here's the Windows version with chat on and a test message:

Friday, February 8, 2019 6:57 PM
  • This is the same session on Mac. The test message above didn't even show up on the Mac SFB. 

Friday, February 8, 2019 7:00 PM
  • It’s odd, as it is related with SFB Online, I would suggest you open a service request in O365 portal.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 7:43 AM
  • Office365 support is horrible. They have to troubleshoot everything all over again and I just don't have time deal with that. I did open a ticket but they chased me for two days and then asked me to give them 2 hours so they could troubleshoot. I refused. 
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 9:15 AM
  • I think my case details above are quite detailed and I referenced this in the case i opened.  
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 9:15 AM
  • Following...we have a variety of issues with Skype for Business on our Macs
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 3:28 PM
  • Hi JoshuaBrock, 

Please open a thread in our forum regarding your Mac issue that you have related with SFB if you like, we'll be willing to assist you if any.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Friday, February 15, 2019 7:50 AM
  • Hi ResidentX10,

Based your description, as your issue is related O365 SFB users, and here our forum is mainly for troubleshooting issues with SFB on premise server.

We would suggest you cross post this in SFB online forum also to get more support.

So that you will get assistance from both Online community and Technet community. 

Thanks for understanding.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Friday, February 15, 2019 8:00 AM
  • Why don't you just move this forum to Office365 and stop wasting everyone's time. I'm not reposting all this info...
    Friday, February 15, 2019 11:37 AM
  • Also, I find it insulting that you would tell me to go to answers to post. They are worse than here....
    Friday, February 15, 2019 11:39 AM