none
Lync Federation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have a scenario where an organization (lync domain currently hosted by us) is separating from our business, they are taking the domain and implementing on their own Skype for Business environment and we need to remove the domain from our Lync configuration and then federate with their Skype for Business environment. 

Currently users in our environment authenticate to Lync using their samAccountName and password. My question is: 

• If I update the users primarySIPAddress from current companyA.org to our internal companyB.org domain what might this impact from the end user perspective? Will contacts saved in Lync still work or will they need to be re-added after the sip domain change?
    • Once the departing companies primarySIPAddress has been removed from all of our internal user objects, is there anything else I will need to do before being able to federate with this organization via the edge service? 

Thanks, 

Mike. 

Saturday, November 17, 2018 12:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

Well, the users that you would move still use the current domain, right? I seems to misunderstand before.

If so, the users who are migrated to the new environment won't get any changed from end user perspective if they still use the current old domain.

Before the users that remaining in your old environment change to a new domain, you will need to add the new sip domain, change it to the default, publish the new topology, update all of your users' SIP domain to the new one, then remove the SIP domain that is no longer needed, and republish the topology again.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by mike_00 Thursday, November 22, 2018 8:38 PM
    Thursday, November 22, 2018 3:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Based on your description, I'm assuming that you are considering moving some Lync users to a new domain for your own organization. What's your planned AD topology? This article describes the supported AD topology for Lync, if the users are located as the requirement, then you will be able to update the primary Sip address by adding additional sip domain. If so, there will be no need to deploy federation any more to commuticate with each other as they are in the same forest.

And if you want to migrate over forest, then it is not supported to perform cross-forest migration for Lync users acutually. If so, that means it will be performed by migrating AD users to a new domain, then there will be no Lync legacy data migrate to those new-domained users.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, November 19, 2018 9:40 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue. :) 

Kind regards, 

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 10:36 AM
  • Hi, 

I am actually migrating users from our organization to a new environment entirely. They will be taking their current SIP / Email domain with them which is why it needs to be removed from our environment first. Basically I need to set all of the users to our default SIP domain, remove their SIP domain, then federate with their environment externally on their SIP domain. 

I am trying to get an understanding if there is anything else that I am missing? 

Michael. 

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 10:21 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Well, the users that you would move still use the current domain, right? I seems to misunderstand before.

If so, the users who are migrated to the new environment won't get any changed from end user perspective if they still use the current old domain.

Before the users that remaining in your old environment change to a new domain, you will need to add the new sip domain, change it to the default, publish the new topology, update all of your users' SIP domain to the new one, then remove the SIP domain that is no longer needed, and republish the topology again.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

• Marked as answer by mike_00 Thursday, November 22, 2018 8:38 PM
    Thursday, November 22, 2018 3:22 PM
  • Thanks very much for the response Calvin. 
    Thursday, November 22, 2018 8:39 PM