none
no applications allowed on C drive RRS feed

• Question

• We have been informed that we can no longer install ANY applications on C drive for Server 2008 R2.  And I was just looking at deploying a Standard Edition Lync 2010 server.  So I started the installation, told it to install on D.  Lync did, SQLExpress didn't.  When I tried to publish the INITIAL topology, it failed with an unable to create database c:\csdata.....   (sorry, not at the server at the moment).  I tried to create a "New, Text Document" in the folder by right-click, but the only option available to my account (domain admin) is New, Folder (with the UAC shield).  Turning off UAC is not an option (sigh)

Everything up to that point worked great.  Schema update, Forest & Domain prep all without issue.  Even the "Prepare first Standard Edition server" ran.  But once I tried to publish the newly-created topology (single SE server, no archiving/monitoring server), it fails.

Is there any way to get Lync Standard Edition to install everything on D?

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:25 PM

Answers

• Why, Sean_Xiao, would you mark the above as "answer" when no answer was given?  Maybe I needed to be more clear in the statement that it worked up to, but not beyond the point of Publish Topology... which still failed!

We found the problem anyway.  Mistake in GPO application of auditing caused permissions in the root of C to be modified

now the problem is fixed and answered.

• Marked as answer by Mike Wunderlin Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:47 PM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:46 PM

All replies

• Additional info:  I followed the installation instructions from here http://www.ocspedia.com/fe/Install_Microsoft_Lync_Server_2010.aspx?ArticleID=103

And it worked, right up to the point of "Publish Topology"

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:32 PM
  • Why, Sean_Xiao, would you mark the above as "answer" when no answer was given?  Maybe I needed to be more clear in the statement that it worked up to, but not beyond the point of Publish Topology... which still failed!

We found the problem anyway.  Mistake in GPO application of auditing caused permissions in the root of C to be modified

now the problem is fixed and answered.

• Marked as answer by Mike Wunderlin Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:47 PM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:46 PM