none
Windows 10 2004 won't detect internet even though wireless internet is working fine RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to post my solution here in case others are having similar issues with the 'steaming pile' otherwise known as 2004.

I recently upgraded from 1903 to 2004. This is on an HP14 dq1039wn. It's got the 2x2 Realtek RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter. My wireless internet works fine but Windows is reporting that my internet isn't available. My wireless internet was correctly being identified just fine in 1903.

When I go to Troubleshoot it's telling me that I need to be connected to the internet to see recommendations. I already tried to reset my adapter settings and was able to reconnect to the same wireless but Windows STILL doesn't recognize that the internet is available. I've already tried other basic diagnostics steps to no avail

This is a huge issue. With Windows not 'detecting' my internet connectivity, even though my internet is working fine, all the other Microsoft apps are drinking the 'no internet' Kool-aid as well. I can't save to OneDrive from within Microsoft apps and Microsoft Outlook isn't working.

Edit - I've fixed the issue on my system. It appears that the 2004 update completely deleted everything in this regkey -

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet

Once I replaced the standard values that were there prior to upgrading to 2004 Windows started detecting my internet perfectly. Below is the regkey info in standard text, for anyone who's interested. Note that I take no responsibility for the plague, sunburns, stubbing your toe, or this regkey import somehow messing up your system - use at your own risk!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet]
    "ActiveDnsProbeContent"="131.107.255.255"
    "ActiveDnsProbeContentV6"="fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1"
    "ActiveDnsProbeHost"="dns.msftncsi.com"
    "ActiveDnsProbeHostV6"="dns.msftncsi.com"
    "ActiveWebProbeContent"="Microsoft Connect Test"
    "ActiveWebProbeContentV6"="Microsoft Connect Test"
    "ActiveWebProbeHost"="www.msftconnecttest.com"
    "ActiveWebProbeHostV6"="ipv6.msftconnecttest.com"
    "ActiveWebProbePath"="connecttest.txt"
    "ActiveWebProbePathV6"="connecttest.txt"
    "EnableActiveProbing"=dword:00000000
    "PassivePollPeriod"=dword:0000000f
    "StaleThreshold"=dword:0000001e
    "WebTimeout"=dword:00000023

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet\ManualProxies]

• Edited by Alceryes Thursday, June 25, 2020 9:12 PM SS
    • Changed type Alceryes Monday, June 29, 2020 1:59 PM SS
    Thursday, June 25, 2020 9:09 PM

Answers

• I may have found the culprit and, if so, will be eating some humble pie as well.

It appears that some privacy tools that worked perfectly in 1903/1909 don't work as intended in 2004. Once I removed a particular NCSI setting (set by a privacy tool) my internet was recognized again at my home location. Maybe the NCSI passive polling is now broken..? Maybe Microsoft changed how NCSI works? I can only speculate at this point.

I won't be able to test at a secondary location for several days. This is the location where I really needed the indicator to work so that MS Office apps could function normally. I'll report back when I test there but for now this can be considered solved. At least for me.

Apologies for my Homer Simpson moment. D'oh!

• Marked as answer by Alceryes Monday, July 13, 2020 4:13 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2020 1:17 PM

All replies

• :(

So the above solution isn't a permanent fix. After using and rebooting the laptop a couple times yesterday, and the internet being properly recognized, it's now back to telling me there's no internet (even though the internet is working fine). I tried removing and readding the keys again and changing the 'enableactiveprobing' key, but no luck.

Normally, this would only be a minor issue but Windows not recognizing internet adversely affects other Microsoft products, namely Microsoft Office.

Anyone have any ideas for a solution to this, besides rolling back to 1903?

Saturday, June 27, 2020 5:07 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the invenience, based on my research, many users who updated to 2004 has occurred this issue. There is no certern reason for what caused it. 

I will give you some possible ways of solving this problem.

1. As you mentioned, change the value of regedit seems a good way. Except that, if the settings is disabled by any of below, revert the setting and see if is resolved.
    1) Below disables Passive Probing is disabled via group policy:
    Group Policy: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Network Connectivity Status Indicator
    "Specify passive polling" = Enabled : "Disable passive polling"
    Registry: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetworkConnectivityStatusIndicator
    DisablePassivePolling = 1
    2) Below disables Active Probing via Group policy
    Group Policy: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Internet Communication Management\Internet Communication Settings
    "Turn off Windows Network Connectivity Status Indicator active tests" = Enabled
    Registry: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetworkConnectivityStatusIndicator
    NoActiveProbe = 1
    c) Below disables Active Probing via local registry key:
    Registry: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet
    EnableActiveProbing = 0

2. Here is a link of similar issue like yours for reference:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-2004/3dd0f750-9973-4924-a79c-1bf575e50a2e?page=1

Hope this can do some help.

Best Regards
    Cherry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 3:04 AM
  • I tried the DisablePassivePolling key but no luck.

Unfortunately, this is on my Windows 10 Home/Debian laptop, so no Group Policy.

• Edited by Alceryes Wednesday, July 1, 2020 1:48 PM SS
    Wednesday, July 1, 2020 1:46 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to reinstall network drivers?

Best Regards
    Cherry

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 2, 2020 2:41 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Monday, July 6, 2020 2:45 AM
  • Yes. The latest drivers didn't help. Windows still doesn't recognize internet even though wireless internet is working fine. Microsoft Office apps refuse to use internet even though wireless internet is working fine.

This is very frustrating. Microsoft QA has gone from bad to flaming dumpster fire with Windows 10.

Monday, July 6, 2020 11:05 AM
  • Hi,

As for this problem of "no internet connection after win10 is updated to 2004 version", according to the information I have collected, this may be the known issue of windows 10 2004. Microsoft has been looking for a solution to this problem. You can refer to the following link:
    Windows 10 says I have no internet connection, but I have.

You can submit this question to Microsoft via the feedbackup hub. For more information on how to use the feedbackup hub, please refer to the following link:
    Send feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub app

After submitting the feedback information, you can manually configure the IP address of the computer. If the Internet can be connected normally, it can be assigned dynamically by DHCP.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best regards

Cherry

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 1:32 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Friday, July 10, 2020 1:51 AM
  • Just to make sure it wasn't anything I brought over from 1903 I completely wiped out the laptop and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 2004.

Windows 10 2004 properly recognized my internet connection for about a day after fresh install and updates and then it went right back to saying no internet (even though my wireless internet is fine). Note that this was after all SSU updates, monthly updates, etc. It worked for about 24-48 hours. There were no new updates installed between the time it was properly recognizing my wireless internet connection to when it stopped recognizing my wireless internet connection.

Microsoft should be ashamed. Their QA has gone from bad to abysmal.

• Edited by Alceryes Sunday, July 12, 2020 8:51 PM SS
    Sunday, July 12, 2020 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, sorry for the bad experience. We will work hard to improve our products and bring better services to our customers.
    Once again apologize for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,
    Cherry

Monday, July 13, 2020 1:26 AM
  • I may have found the culprit and, if so, will be eating some humble pie as well.

It appears that some privacy tools that worked perfectly in 1903/1909 don't work as intended in 2004. Once I removed a particular NCSI setting (set by a privacy tool) my internet was recognized again at my home location. Maybe the NCSI passive polling is now broken..? Maybe Microsoft changed how NCSI works? I can only speculate at this point.

I won't be able to test at a secondary location for several days. This is the location where I really needed the indicator to work so that MS Office apps could function normally. I'll report back when I test there but for now this can be considered solved. At least for me.

Apologies for my Homer Simpson moment. D'oh!

• Marked as answer by Alceryes Monday, July 13, 2020 4:13 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2020 1:17 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly I am glad to hear that you resolved the issue by yourself. I really appreciate your ability to troubleshoot, analyze the issue and find the correct solutions.

Thank you for the efforts you've done so far and your continuing patience. I truly understand how inconvenient you feel about the issue. Sorry for that. 
    I'm really like your humor. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

This "Windows 10 General" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best regards
    Cherry

"Windows 10 General" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 General"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 1:22 AM
  • Thanks @CherryZhang2020

The internet is recognized properly at my secondary location just fine. I an still unsure of the changes made to the NCSI in v2004 that causes privacy tools to not function properly, but at least i know how to get it working again.

Saturday, July 18, 2020 4:23 PM