none
After changing logon domain, users often have to re-enter credentials

    Question

  • Hi

    Last week I created a few accounts on MicrosoftOnline Services with the default company.emea.msonline.com domain. After testing for a week we switched to include our real domains. I created the CNAME records, verified all 5 domains we have, relayed our e-mail and did a few tests. This seemed to work fine. Since we have a spam filter service in place, we didn't need to update MX records but could tell the spam service to now relay all mail to brightstore.microsoft.com (not exact address).

    After SMTP mail worked, I also switched the logon domains for the users, to our primary domain. That was Sunday night. Now, monday morning we notice that users have trouble signing in with the primary domain name. Sometimes after trying 2-3 times they are logged in. Often they have to re-enter credentials while working in Outlook.

    I also noticed that sometimes e-mail gets bounced with error user doesn't exist and 10min later the user can receive mail.

    How long would this change normally take to sync? Its a very small environment, 5 domains, 4 users.

    Gabrie

     

    Monday, April 04, 2011 8:10 AM

Answers

  • You can just add the second domain like you added the first domain. Then verify the second domain, update your MX records.

     

    If that has all finished, check your mail flow. Pick your own user ID and add an e-mail address to your user from the new domain. Check if mail for that user is received.

     

    Now you can set the primary logon domain to your new domain.

    For all users you now have to add the new e-mail addresses and set those to default

     

    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:40 PM

All replies

  • Gabrie,

    Are you still in co-existence mode where you have accounts on both on-prem and the cloud? What mode is the domain you set as the primary in BPOS, external relay or Authoritative?

    I'd also check their Sign-In client and make sure they are logging in with the correct, updated name.



    Jorge R. Diaz, PMP, CCNA, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS


    Senior Microsoft Consultant

    Planet Technologies, Inc.

    Check out My Blog!

    Monday, April 04, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Turns out Microsoft is having big issues in EMEA all day :-(  Think all settings are correct so I will continue tomorrow, hope all is solved by then

     

    Monday, April 04, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Ahh, yup, that happens some time. Have you seen the health dashboard? If not it may be a good way to verify in the future.

    Datacenter Location

    Service Health Dashboard URL

    Americas (NOAM)

    https://health.noam.microsoftonline.com/

    Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA)

    https://health.emea.microsoftonline.com/

    Asia-Pacific (APAC)

    https://health.apac.microsoftonline.com/



    Jorge R. Diaz, PMP, CCNA, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS


    Senior Microsoft Consultant

    Planet Technologies, Inc.

    Check out My Blog!

    Monday, April 04, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Any chance you could point me in the right direction for documentation for switching primary domains; my company is changing domain names from aaa.com to zzz.com and we would like to make sure clients can still email us via the old domain (aaa.com).

     

    thanks,

    m

    Monday, April 18, 2011 9:47 PM
  • You can just add the second domain like you added the first domain. Then verify the second domain, update your MX records.

     

    If that has all finished, check your mail flow. Pick your own user ID and add an e-mail address to your user from the new domain. Check if mail for that user is received.

     

    Now you can set the primary logon domain to your new domain.

    For all users you now have to add the new e-mail addresses and set those to default

     

    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:40 PM