none
The attach operation cannot continue because another object in this farm already contains the same ID. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting the error in the Title. How do I resolve this issue or remove the content database from the web application, so I can Mount the migrated content database?

Mike W

SharePoint Engineer - Mike

Monday, October 21, 2019 2:53 PM

Answers

• Firstly, what exactly are you trying to do ? are you trying to mount the database or dismount the database. If you are trying to mount the database that's not possible because that database is already mounted to your SharePoint farm. try dismounting that database using below command and then try mounting it back again and see.

Dismount-SPContentDatabase WSS_Content_SP
    Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Monday, October 21, 2019 5:00 PM

All replies

• Add this to your mount command. -AssignNewDatabaseId something like below

Mount-SPContentDatabase "MyDatabase" -DatabaseServer "MyServer" -WebApplication https://sitename -AssignNewDatabaseId
    Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Monday, October 21, 2019 3:09 PM
  • Thanks Sharath,

Will this cause any conflicts? I have Dismounted all databases from the WebApplication I am migrating to.

Mike W

Monday, October 21, 2019 3:20 PM
  • No, it won't. it just assigns the new database id. seems you already have same database id that why you are getting that error so, we are just assigning a New DB ID.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Monday, October 21, 2019 3:26 PM
  • I get an error. Please see below:

A SharePoint database named Wss_Content_SP already exists. You must supply another name for the new database.

Monday, October 21, 2019 4:39 PM
  • seems like you are mounting the database which is already there, that won't work. you can't keep 2 databases with same name in SharePoint Farm.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Monday, October 21, 2019 4:44 PM
  • What do you recommend. I'm looking at the Server hosting Microsoft Management Studio and I only see one database with that name.

Mike W

Monday, October 21, 2019 4:52 PM
  • Firstly, what exactly are you trying to do ? are you trying to mount the database or dismount the database. If you are trying to mount the database that's not possible because that database is already mounted to your SharePoint farm. try dismounting that database using below command and then try mounting it back again and see.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Monday, October 21, 2019 5:00 PM
  • I get an error. Please see below:

A SharePoint database named Wss_Content_SP already exists. You must supply another name for the new database.

What are you trying to do?  The error message listed makes it sound like you are trying to attach a database that is already attached to the farm, possibly on another web application?
    Monday, October 21, 2019 7:06 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you for marking the answer for the thread. It will do great benefit to other users in this forum.

Here I will provide a summary of this post for your information.

[The attach operation cannot continue because another object in this farm already contains the same ID]

Situation

====================

SharePoint Server 2010

Question

====================

When user mounts the migrated content database to the web application then occurs “The attach operation cannot continue because another object in this farm already contains the same ID” error and A SharePoint database named Wss_Content_SP already exists. You must supply another name for the new database error.

Solution

====================

According to Sharath’s reply, you should dismount the database first and then mount the migrated database.

Dismount the database:

Mount database with new ID:

Mount-SPContentDatabase "MyDatabase" -DatabaseServer "MyServer" -WebApplication https://sitename -AssignNewDatabaseId

And note you can't keep 2 databases with same name in SharePoint Farm.

Best Regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 9:31 AM