none
cannot open Server Manager RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Windows Sever 2019 configured as an RDP server. I am unable to access Server Manager logged in as administrator. If I select Run As Administrator it still will not run. I was able to access it when logged in as local admin but cannot anymore. The current version of the OS is 10.0.17763.77.

Thank you

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:27 PM

Answers

• You can go down that debugging rabbit hole if you like but be sure to set aside plenty of time for it. My recommendation is to stand up a new one, patch fully, migrate roles or applications over to it and move on.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:56 PM
    Owner

All replies

• What happens when you try?

Might try patching to latest build, 17763.864

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4523205

and also try as a new or different user.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:38 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

Any error messages?

Please check your event in Event viewer and update your OS to the latest version. OS build 10.0.17763.77 is too old. Please check for update to install. It could repair some files.

Meanwhile, we could try to use the command below:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

This issue also could be caused by .net framework. So you could try to reinstall it to check. verifying .NET is up to date.

Based on my search, there is a user setting file at C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft_Corporation\ServerManager.exe_StrongName_m3xk0k0ucj0oj3ai2hibnhnv4xobnimj\10.0.0.0\user.config. This file will be updated when user made any setting change on UI, and sometime this file can get corrupted because of crash or turn-off. Try manually deleting the file and restarting Server Manager.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:27 AM
  • I updated the patch to latest build, 17763.864. Logged in as another administrator and still same problem.
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:14 PM
  • and still same problem.

You never told us what happens when you try? Might also try;

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:17 PM
    Owner
  • Hello, thanks for your reply. I ran the commend and got the following....

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.17763.771

Image Version: 10.0.17763.864

[==========================100.0%==========================]
    Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Stated that .net framework 4.7.2 is already installed. Could not go any further. 

Deleted the user.config file in both admin profiles. Still not resolved.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:35 PM
  • Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.

Ran fist command and got the following message:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
    For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
    windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
    repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Second command results are indicated below in another reply.

I did forget to add the following from the DISM log file. These are the only errors.

2019-11-20 11:19:10, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4216 TID=6460  Error in operation: source for package or file not found, ResolveSource() unsuccessful. (CBS HRESULT=0x800f081f) - CCbsConUIHandler::Error
    2019-11-20 11:19:10, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4216 TID=9060 Failed finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x800f081f)
    2019-11-20 11:19:10, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4216 TID=9060 The source files could not be found; their location must be specified using the /source option to restore the feature. - GetCbsErrorMsg
    2019-11-20 11:19:10, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4216 TID=9060 Failed processing package changes with session option CbsSessionOptionRepairStoreCorruption - CDISMPackageManager::RestoreHealth(hr:0x800f081f)
    2019-11-20 11:19:10, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4216 TID=9060 The source files could not be found; their location must be specified using the /source option to restore the feature. - GetCbsErrorMsg
    2019-11-20 11:19:15, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4216 TID=9060 Failed to restore the image health. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ProcessCmdLine_CleanupImage(hr:0x800f081f)
    2019-11-20 11:19:15, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=4216 TID=9060 Failed while processing command cleanup-image. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x800f081f)

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:48 PM
  • You can go down that debugging rabbit hole if you like but be sure to set aside plenty of time for it. My recommendation is to stand up a new one, patch fully, migrate roles or applications over to it and move on.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:56 PM
    Owner