none
External Calendar sharing RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!

I have a user who has received an invite to open a calendar from a user in a different O365 tenant.  We can add the calendar and it is showing up in the desktop version of Outlook with all of the events etc that were on the external calendar at that point in time.  However, if the external user changes anything or adds or removes any events, they will not show up unless my user removes and re-adds the calendar.  This is not the case in OWA, where it works fine (albeit with the 3-hour delay that Microsoft let us know to expect).

Switching to OWA to check is cumbersome.  I found a question from 2017 where someone else had the same problem, but it was not fixed for them.  I can't post links apparently or I would link to that question.

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

How do your open this calendar invite  from Outlook client?

I open it from Office 365 Outlook client in this way below:

After modifying from source client, I click "Send/Receive All Folder", this change could show in this shared calendar immediately:

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by C LF Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:25 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8:01 AM

All replies

• Which version of Outlook are you using? The improvements made in the sharing model in the past few years are only available with the click-to-run version, and only recent builds.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:54 PM
  • Hi,

How do your open this calendar invite  from Outlook client?

I open it from Office 365 Outlook client in this way below:

After modifying from source client, I click "Send/Receive All Folder", this change could show in this shared calendar immediately:

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by C LF Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:25 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8:01 AM
  • Good morning,

We are using the Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus subscription version of the Outlook desktop app, and I'm seeing "Version 1910 (Build 12130.20272 Click-to-Run)" in the product information section of the app.

As for how we're adding the calendar, I believe this user was opening the invitation in their inbox and choosing the "this URL" link, which downloads an ics file.  Would adding via the Add Calendar -> From Internet and providing the URL for the ics file work better?

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:03 PM
  • If he's working with the ICS directly, I'd say that's the expected behavior as it simply gives you a copy of the calendar at a given point in time. Have him use the actual share calendar functionality as detailed here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/share-an-outlook-calendar-with-other-people-353ed2c1-3ec5-449d-8c73-6931a0adab88
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 5:19 PM
  • Hi,

Here is summary about this thread:

Question:

When open shared calendar from Outlook, this calendar cannot update automatically.

Solution Summary:

The .ics format of calendar is a copy of calendar which will not update by default. If want calendar keep syncing, we should add it with internet calendar URL.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Sunday, November 24, 2019 10:55 AM