none
search menu is constantly loading in windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am building an image (img) for Windows 10 ver 2004. After I sysprep the img and deploy it to several test machines I often have issues with the search function never giving results instead it is constantly loading (little blue balls moving a the top). A few key points

The img is being made on a VM (proxmox)

I entered audit mode to create the img

after exiting sys prep the computer joins the work domain

Search always works under the built in admin account.

Search will work just fine about 50% of the time on any account on a single computer otherwise only the admin account works properly.

excluding the admin account it appears that if the search doesn't work for one account it wont work for any account on the device.

If I give a domain admin account access to the admin folder that domain admin account now has a working search but only that account on the device is effected.

If I delete the admin account search starts working for all users.

A few other notes. The img is a pretty simple setup, I install a few apps (Office, oracle database, VLC, Adobe reader, Java) I do join the domain temporarily to add accounts the user groups the leave the domain. I customize the desktop and the start menu as well. I also use DISM to set default apps.

Any assistance is welcome, thank you in advance!

• Edited by Jesse Ber Monday, July 13, 2020 1:03 PM added details
    Monday, July 13, 2020 12:15 PM

Answers

• Adding the following lines to my setup complete seems to have resolved the issue on a small sample size.

rd /s /q "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache"
    rd /s /q "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache"
    del /f /q /a:sh "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat"

rd /s /q "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache"
    rd /s /q "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache"
    del /f /q /a:sh "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat"

• Marked as answer by Jesse Ber Thursday, July 23, 2020 8:29 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 8:29 PM

All replies

• HI
    “The img is being made on a VM (proxmox)”
    1.have you installed update patches on win10 2004 before do sysprep image ?
    2.did you try to not join to you AD domain and install the same application ,then sysprep that image and deploy one vm ,will this new vm have the same issue ?
    3.“If I delete the admin account search starts working for all users.”
    for this condition ,if we delete the admin account,what's consequence ?

4"If I give a domain admin account access to the admin folder that domain admin account now has a working search but only that account on the device is effected."
    what's admin folder ?why there is admin folder ?for developer who use that issue win10 ,his account should be added local admin group,so i am confused about admin folder?

5. we can run below command in command prompt(open as admin)then check if it can find and solve system file issue?
    sfc scannow
    dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth   
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 3:27 AM
  • Hello and thank you for the reply

1. Yes, I have installed updates

2. Yes, after I posted this I made another build where I never join the domain. problem still occurs.

3. No consequence that I can see just added time when imaging hundreds of computers.

4. I apologize for not clarifying. I mean the default administrators user folder

to clarify more when I reference admin everything it is in reference to the default administrator account.

5. I have ran these but they do not resolve the issue.

To reiterate and clarify more; Not every computer I image has this issue it seems totally random. I can image the same PC twice and the search will work once but not the other. If the search is not working it works for no users except for the default administrator account.

It seems to be one out of 3 deployments has this search issue after imaging.

I have also tried making other local accounts and they have the same issue.

the Search window will stay up and the blue dots repeat. Thank you again for reaching out and offering advice I very much appreciate it.

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 7:39 PM
  • Adding the following lines to my setup complete seems to have resolved the issue on a small sample size.

rd /s /q "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache"
    rd /s /q "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache"
    del /f /q /a:sh "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat"

rd /s /q "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache"
    rd /s /q "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache"
    del /f /q /a:sh "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat"

• Marked as answer by Jesse Ber Thursday, July 23, 2020 8:29 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 8:29 PM