none
Migrate from 2008 R2 Sql 2008 R2 and DPM 2012 R2 to 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Im looking for advice on migrating my cureent DPM setup to a new and supported platform.

Currently I have DPM 2012 R2 running on a 2008 R2 server with its database on a SQL 2008 R2 installation.  

Im am looking to move to Server 2019, DPM 2019 and moving the SQL database to a new SQL 2017  server. 

What would be the best method of getting to DPM 2019 with at least the Tape information in tact. 

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There are a few approaches, but it won't be anything simple as it will involve a lot of steps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method 1

Migrate your existing DPM server to a newer server/new hardware, and upgrade from there.

You can backup your DPM database, and restore it on newer supported Windows Server, that would be Windows Server 2012 R2 in this case, but you'll need to initially use the exact same version of SQL Server 2008 R2.

Once migrated, you can upgrade your SQL Server up to SQL Server 2014 SP1 (this is the max supported by DPM 2012 R2).

You can then perform an in-place upgrade of your DPM 2012 R2 (with the latest Update Rollup 14) to DPM 2016.

Then install the currently latest Update Rollup 9 for DPM 2016, and upgrade the SQL Server 2014 SP1 to SQL Server 2016.

Then you would have to migrate the DPM database again to a newer Windows Server 2016/2019, install the same SQL Server 2016 (which you upgraded to).

There you can then in-place upgrade your DPM 2016 to DPM 2019.

Note: Upgrading this many times involves a lot of risks, personally I would not recommend it as so many things can get broken on the way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method 2

Simply install a new DPM 2019 server on the side, on fresh hardware/new virtual machine, using the latest Windows Server 2019 operating system and SQL Server 2017.

Keep your existing DPM 2012 R2 for the tapes only until they expire, once expired you can move the empty tape drives to your DPM 2019 environment.

Some useful links for you:

DPM 2012 R2

Server Operating System Requirements

SQL Server Requirements

DPM 2016/2019

SQL Server Requirements

Server Operating System Requirements

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Tuesday, May 12, 2020 10:30 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Tuesday, May 19, 2020 11:59 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2020 9:52 AM
  • Hi Leon,

Thank you for the steps.

I had sort of guessed that this would be a lot of upgrades side upgrades and migrations.

I like the idea of building a new DPM server but some of our tapes have to be retained for 10 years due to legal regulations.

What if i built the 2019 environment would I be able to import the tapes from the year ends intot he new DPM enviroment?

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 11:01 AM
  • All the backup information is located in the DPM database, the DPM tapes written to on the old DPM server can be moved to the new DPM server and imported, however, the data on them cannot be restored until you recatalog the tapes, then the recovery points will show up under the recovery tape under EXTERNAL DPM TAPES.

Do note that these recovery points can only be restored as flat files using the "recover to an alternate location" option.

The browse will only see protected servers on the new DPM server, so basically, if you don't use the same DPM Server name and restore the DPMDB, you will not get the option to recovery any data back to original location including application data. This will mean after a flat file restore, you will need to manually move or copy the files back to the applications folder and replace the existing files for the application to be able to use them. 

• Edited by Leon Laude Tuesday, May 12, 2020 12:29 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Tuesday, May 19, 2020 11:59 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2020 12:17 PM
  • wow i wasn't expecting that short fall for a backup solution.

The key thing we wish to retain is the tape restore ability, so for us to do this we have to do several inplace upgrades before moving to the new hardware?

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 12:26 PM
  • Apologies for the confusion, I've edited my previous reply.

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 12:29 PM
  • Hi Leon,

I have the same problem with DPM 2012 R2 on Server 2008 R2.

You 've described two methods.

What about in-place upgrade of the OS? Is it not supported? I know Microsoft does not recommend it, but it will save a lot of effort?

Also should be used the same FQDN when installing the new OS in the domain?

Br,

Marin

Thursday, June 25, 2020 2:19 PM
  • Hi Leon,

I have the same problem with DPM 2012 R2 on Server 2008 R2.

You 've described two methods.

What about in-place upgrade of the OS? Is it not supported? I know Microsoft does not recommend it, but it will save a lot of effort?

Also should be used the same FQDN when installing the new OS in the domain?

Br,

Marin

In-place upgrades are supported, but never recommeded, and if you're performing an in-place upgrade of the OS, SQL and DPM then the risk will be a lot higher for corruption or anything else that may go wrong.

If you have further questions I suggest you create a new thread for your query, this way we keep the forum tidy.

• Edited by Leon Laude Thursday, June 25, 2020 2:39 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2020 2:25 PM