SharePoint 2010 modifying Office files? RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of migrating some data from a SharePoint 2007 site to a new SharePoint 2010 site.  I noticed that some files, all Excel files, are modified when they land on the new 2010 site.  The size changes, and a binary compare shows differences.  The files seem to open fine in Excel, but I'm concerned about this seeming modification.
    I don't see such changes copying to a local directory.  Other files on the site (binary, etc.) don't seem to exhibit the issue, so I'm guessing that this is some sort of Office / SharePoint interaction.  My IT support folks (I'm a user of these sites, not an admin) don't seem concerned.  Has anyone else seen such behavior?
    Friday, November 16, 2012 7:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yes, SharePoint changes some Office file types:

• SharePoint modifies Office 2003 documents by appending to the end of “uploaded” files, but not for Upload Multiple or Explorer drag and drop.
    • SharePoint modifies Office 2007 documents by modifying the files in the “DOCX/XLSX” ZIP files, and for all ways they are uploaded.
    • SharePoint does not appear to modify non-Office files

Here's some testing I did a few years ago... http://techtrainingnotes.blogspot.com/2010/11/sharepoint-changes-files-as-they-are.html

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com my SP customization book

• Marked as answer by Chambers Creek Friday, November 16, 2012 9:55 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 7:47 PM
  • Excellent, Mike -- just what I was looking for.  Had forgotten that Office files were just glorified ZIP files.  Took a look at these, and an internal XML file was the only thing modified.  Think I'm fine with that, now that I know the cause.  Thanks!
    Friday, November 16, 2012 9:59 PM