none
Microsoft BPOS (Online Services) outage RRS feed

• Question

• This morning, Microsoft Online services was not available to a number of our users. At this time it seems that all of our users are affected in multiple cities. The funny thing is when I was able to get to the Online support page, the system reported a healthy status. When trying to start a vocie call to support, the system said they were experiencing problems and could not process the call right now.
    Monday, August 23, 2010 2:30 PM

Answers

• You know, that bugs me too. For MS to acknowledge that they're experiencing a major outage across the entire continent, and yet my Admin portal reports a "Healthy" status is downright ridiculous.

I know I'm only echoing the sentiments of alot of people on these boards...but I'm the one that talked our exec staff into migrating to BPOS and with all these outages, I'm beginning to look like a fool. We considered going with a third party to host Exchange and I went to the mat for Microsoft. I figured, "Hey...It's Microsoft. They're huge. They know what they're doing. They're shouldn't be any downtime ever."

Famous last words. 4 months, 10 outages and around 40 service requests later, I'm standing here wishing I had never even suggested moving off our on-premise server built in 2003. Sure it was clunky, cost too much to run and weighed a metric ton. But at least it stayed up.

I know you take the good with the bad and part of the risk of going multi-tenant is outages like this. But not on this scale. I'm running out of reasons to just pick the whole organization up and move it to Google Apps. As a non-profit, we'd get it for free. And none of my colleagues who are on that system have ever complained of downtime like this.

Monday, August 23, 2010 7:34 PM

All replies

• You know, that bugs me too. For MS to acknowledge that they're experiencing a major outage across the entire continent, and yet my Admin portal reports a "Healthy" status is downright ridiculous.

I know I'm only echoing the sentiments of alot of people on these boards...but I'm the one that talked our exec staff into migrating to BPOS and with all these outages, I'm beginning to look like a fool. We considered going with a third party to host Exchange and I went to the mat for Microsoft. I figured, "Hey...It's Microsoft. They're huge. They know what they're doing. They're shouldn't be any downtime ever."

Famous last words. 4 months, 10 outages and around 40 service requests later, I'm standing here wishing I had never even suggested moving off our on-premise server built in 2003. Sure it was clunky, cost too much to run and weighed a metric ton. But at least it stayed up.

I know you take the good with the bad and part of the risk of going multi-tenant is outages like this. But not on this scale. I'm running out of reasons to just pick the whole organization up and move it to Google Apps. As a non-profit, we'd get it for free. And none of my colleagues who are on that system have ever complained of downtime like this.

Monday, August 23, 2010 7:34 PM
  • Add me to the list of wondering why the admin portal reported a healthy status. That makes no sense.
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:18 PM