none
Server 2008 r2 to Server 2019 Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking all over for some sort of solution to this dilemma.

We have only one server in the entire business. There are only 10 users or less. Currently they have MS Server 2008 R2 and with the end-of-support I need to get my client upgraded to Server 2019. Because the budget is tight I would love to be able to change the server to 2019 Essentials. That way they aren't required to purchase additional CAL licenses. 

They only need the one server which is acting as a file server and Domain controller. No other servers.

I don't have a budget to put new hardware in to migrate.

I've seen conflicting reports that you can upgrade to Essentials but it seems confusing.

Can I do this or am I just stuck buying new CAL licenses because of course, old CAL's don't work.

Any suggestions?

P.S. This is a physical server and not virtual. 

Thursday, November 21, 2019 6:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• HI
    1 "They only need the one server which is acting as a file server and Domain controller."
    for your condition,server essentials seems to be good option. please note windows server essentials 2019 must act as domain control and with full FSMO. Meanwhile it can only be used in single domain ,there is no domain trust relationship built on wse2019.
    2 "I've seen conflicting reports that you can upgrade to Essentials but it seems confusing.
    we can not in-place upgrade from server 2008 r2 to w2019 .
    3.can you enter winver in command prompt on w2008r2 and look the os version,is it SBS2008 or windows server 2008r2 standard?[for example windows server 2008 standard]
    4.what's the function of your w2008r2 ?
      what's role install on w2008r2,is it domain control and with full fsmo?(we can run get-windowsfeature on powershell command onw2008r2 then check it)
    5.what's the detail model of your old physical server and what's the hardware configuration on it now ? 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Thank you for responding.

It's Windows Server Standard 2008 R2. I know there is no direct path to upgrade even if I wanted to go to 2019 Standard. I would have to do 2 upgrades just for that to work too. I know migration is usually what is recommended but I'm trying to keep the same hardware and not have to have them buy hardware and the OS.

I didn't know if they could migrate from 2008 R2 Standard to maybe 2012 Essentials and then follow that path, if it was possible. Just trying anything to make this work.

This server is a stand-alone domain controller with full FSMO rights.

It's an HP server with Xeon E5-2620 CPU and 32 GB RAM. I don't have the model number for you. I know I would need to verify drivers.

If we have to do a fresh install on the existing hardware, it will take a bit of a dance spinning up a second domain controller so I could keep the domain intact. Then transfer everything over to the new server and dcpromo to demote the old domain controller. Backup all data or move to the temporary server.

Fresh install the 2019 Essentials and move all FSMO and domain roles back to it, I'm assuming as you stated above. Then decomm the secondary DC or utilitze it as a secondary backup DC.

This is for a single domain.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 10:45 AM
  • What you can do is:

1. Virtualize the current Server 2008 R2 and run it on a Hyper-V Server. That is the free version, see https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-hyper-v-server-2019. See https://www.server-essentials.com/support/virtualize-sbs-2008-2011-run-as-virtual-machine-hyper-v-server for a tutorial to virtualize your current OS.
    2. Once you have 'migrated' the physical install to become a VM you add another VM and do a proper migration of your old OS.

It looks like the server you have with 32 GB of Ram can easily handle this. The only thing you need to make sure is that you have enough free disk space.

If your current server is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard you cannot do an in-place upgrade to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials because that is version wise a downgrade and that is not supported. Doing in-place upgrades of Domain Controllers is always a bad idea.

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | DNN MVP 2019

Thursday, November 21, 2019 11:06 AM
  • I figured this might be an option. That or perhaps a second physical server for temporary migration.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. It's never easy, right? :-)

Thursday, November 21, 2019 11:58 AM
  • HI
    thanks for your reply.i hope everything goes well.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 11:47 PM