none
Error upgrading to DPM 2019 with SQL failover cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Current version: DPM 2016 5.0.457.0 (can't remember which CU it is but it's probably the latest)

Trying to upgrade to DPM 2019

DPM is running on a Windows server 2016 VM (Hyper-V host)

SQL instance is a failover cluster of two nodes running SQL Server 2016 Standard SP2 on Windows Server 2016 (SQL Prep files for DPM 2019 were installed on both nodes)

The setup process goes without error and the prerequisite checks shows no warning, except a message saying backup tasks won't run during the upgrade. I chose "SQL instance is clustered" on the first step. I can get to the end of the setup wizard. The installation fail after a few minutes with this error message:

[11/13/2019 3:39:33 PM] Information : Renaming file C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\MSDPM2012$DPMDB_NT_DPM_3.mdf to C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\\MSDPM2012$DPMDB_NT_DPM_301506afc_efba_4247_a307_2ef77749db9a.mdf
    [11/13/2019 3:41:45 PM] * Exception :  => System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file '\\SQLCLUSTER\C$\ClusterStorage\Volume1\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\MSDPM2012$DPMDB_NT_DPM_3.mdf'.
    File name: '\\SQLCLUSTER\C$\ClusterStorage\Volume1\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\MSDPM2012$DPMDB_NT_DPM_3.mdf'
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.File.InternalMove(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean checkHost)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Helpers.CopyFilesHelper.MoveFile(String sourceFilePath, String destinationFilePath)
    [11/13/2019 3:41:45 PM] * Exception :  => Failed to Move file from \\SQLCLUSTER\C$\ClusterStorage\Volume1\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\MSDPM2012$DPMDB_NT_DPM_3.mdf to \\SQLCLUSTER\C$\ClusterStorage\Volume1\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\\MSDPM2012$DPMDB_NT_DPM_301506afc_efba_4247_a307_2ef77749db9a.mdf.Review the error details and take appropriate action. Then retry the operation.Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Exceptions.BackEndErrorException: exception ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file '\\SQLCLUSTER\C$\ClusterStorage\Volume1\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\MSDPM2012$DPMDB_NT_DPM_3.mdf'.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.File.InternalMove(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean checkHost)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Helpers.CopyFilesHelper.MoveFile(String sourceFilePath, String destinationFilePath)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.UpgradeLibrary.UpgradeImplementer.AttachDPMDBtoRemoteSQLInstance(SetupContext context)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.BackEnd.UpgradeConfiguration(Version installedVersion, String currentSqlInstanceName, String oldSqlInstanceName, String currentDpmDatabaseName, String oldDpmDatabaseName)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.DpmInstaller.ConfigurePreMsiUpgrade()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.UpgradeDpm()
    *** Mojito error was: MoveFileFailed; 0; None

Failed to Move file from \\SQLCLUSTER\C$\ClusterStorage\Volume1\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\MSDPM2012$DPMDB_NT_DPM_3.mdf to \\SQLCLUSTER\C$\ClusterStorage\Volume1\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\\MSDPM2012$DPMDB_NT_DPM_301506afc_efba_4247_a307_2ef77749db9a.mdf. (ID: 4518)

Review the error details and take appropriate action. Then retry the operation.

"SQLCLUSTER" is the name of the SQL Server 2016 failover cluster which is hosting the DPM database. I tried providing different credentials, all of which are both administrator of the server and of the SQL instance, with no success.

This "file not found exception" bugs me, When the installation wizard closes, the file is where it's supposed to be, and I'm able to re-attach the database to the SQL instance. I'm not an expert at this, but I have a feeling it's due to the wizard calling the file's UNC path using the cluster's name.

If I open an explorer window and type \\sqlcluster\c$\clusterstorage\... in the address bar, I get an error, however if I type \\<mssql1>\c$\clusterstorage\... where mssql1 is the name of a cluster node, I can access the files.

Has someone succeded to upgrade DPM with a clustered SQL instance? I thought it was a compatibility issue but I just double-checked the docs and it says SQL Server 2016 SP2 is supported with DPM 2019. I don't quite know what to think of this.

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm pretty sure having the DPM database on cluster shared volumes (CSVs) is not supported, this may be the cause of your issue.

Most System Center products require normal cluster disks for storing the SQL Server database.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, November 14, 2019 4:22 AM
  • Hello Leon,

That's a real bummer if it's true, I have two DPM 2016 and one VMM 2016 databases on this CSV (along with a bunch of other stuff) and I was planning to upgrade all of that.

I am aware that you can't protect SQL databases if they're stored on a CSV - but I saw nothing regarding whether or not it was supported in order to install the product. I was able to install the 2016 version in the first place. If it were true, the prerequisite checks should've thrown an error.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 1:27 PM
  • I've witnessed a similar error when trying to install the database of some System Center product on cluster shared volume (CSV), often when something isn't stated it means that it's not supported.

DPM requires a basic active standby failover cluster with normal cluster disks, I think the prerequisite check doesn't check the disk configuration.

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:52 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:53 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking to see if you have any update on your issue?

If your issue was resolved, may I ask you to mark all the answers that helped you? This way it will also help others in the future who face the same challenge. Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
    Leon

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 9:34 PM
  • Hello

I haven't had the time to try again unfortunately but what I'm going to do is install a local SQL instance on the DPM server and migrate the DB on it. The doc explains quite clearly how to do the migration. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/dpm/upgrade-dpm?view=sc-dpm-2019#migrate-the-dpm-database-during-upgrade

Thank you for your help.

• Edited by Quaracal Thursday, December 12, 2019 1:53 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 1:52 PM
  • Thanks for getting back, let us know if you need any assistance with your migration.

Thursday, December 12, 2019 5:04 PM