none
Recovery Point Volume - 60 TB limit?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using DPM 2010 for protection of our data. Now, we have a problem that I cannot find any documentation for. When trying to add a protection member to a Protection Group, we get the following message:

"A DPM server can have a total recovery point volume size of 60 TB. If you exceed this limit, the DPM server will miss its backup SLA and eventually it may become unresponsive. You currently have a tital recovery point volume size of 60,1269340515137 TB on <server.domain.com>. (ID: 32585)".

This basically means, we cannot protect the data, we want to without adding another DPM server or changing our Rentention settings dramatically.

Where is this limitation documented? What do others do - I guess, we are not the only company who has reached this limit.

The only 'documentation' I can find, that kind of relates to this is http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399280.aspx, but it says Recommended (not maximum) disk space 80 TB with 40 TB recovery point.

Thanks in advance!

/Michael

• Edited by MGLDK1 Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:14 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

just as you found out yourself that is the recommended "Supported" size. Meaning in DPM 2010 Microsoft tested it up to 80 TB of data and with DPM 2012 its 120 TB of data (with I think 80 TB of replica). The important thing here is that this is a "soft limit". Sure you can protect more data with 1 DPM server and it is still going to work but there might be problems due to the large amount of data. As said this soft limit is the supported storage pool size.

Just for information - we have a customer who also exeeds the soft limit of 80 TB but DPM is still working fine. When they were setting up things we ran into a couple of issues and with Microsoft support those were solved. Since then DPM works fine. From time to time I see errors in their environment but as I see the same errors in smaller environments I am not really worried that this is due to size.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

just as you found out yourself that is the recommended "Supported" size. Meaning in DPM 2010 Microsoft tested it up to 80 TB of data and with DPM 2012 its 120 TB of data (with I think 80 TB of replica). The important thing here is that this is a "soft limit". Sure you can protect more data with 1 DPM server and it is still going to work but there might be problems due to the large amount of data. As said this soft limit is the supported storage pool size.

Just for information - we have a customer who also exeeds the soft limit of 80 TB but DPM is still working fine. When they were setting up things we ran into a couple of issues and with Microsoft support those were solved. Since then DPM works fine. From time to time I see errors in their environment but as I see the same errors in smaller environments I am not really worried that this is due to size.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:15 AM
  • But why am I then prompted at 60 TB?

Does Microsoft document this anywhere? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399280.aspx is not very clear or specific about this and I haven't been able to find it anywhere else...

/Michael

Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:20 AM
  • I know this is a pretty old thread, but I share the posters frustrations. I am getting the same warnings in DPM 2012 R2 for 60TB. I find it very strange considering the limit is supposed to be 120TB for DPM 2012?

Some of Microsoft's communication with limits for DPM seems to be very poor. Does anyone know if this can simply be ignored or is there some logical explanation for this?

Thanks

• Edited by alig69 Thursday, January 21, 2016 8:41 AM pic edit
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 8:37 AM
  • Old topic, but same here in DPM 2019.

A DPM server can have a total replica size of 75 TB. If you exceed this limit, the DPM server will miss its backup SLA and eventually it may become unresponsive. You currently have a total replica volume size of 165.08913447656 TB on dpmserver.domain.com. (ID: 32584)

We do have lots of weird errors every day (100-150 jobs fail). Most resolve with the automatic retry, some solved with a manual retry. Very few actually need attention, removing and adding again to protection groups etc, to resolve the issues. We do use modern storage and have more than enough free space. I read here that it is a soft limit and Microsoft will still give support. Still bugs me this warning pops up and might be the cause.

• Edited by Dwester Friday, February 28, 2020 9:31 AM
    Friday, February 28, 2020 9:30 AM