none
Outlook Discussion RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Support,

We are using outlook 2013 as a POP account.

I have attached outlook backup screenshot for your kind reference.

The outlook backup shows as GMS and i want to know whether this backup will work.

The system is crashed and i have taken outlook backup and it is in this format.When i export /import to outlook,whether this outlook backup file will show all the old emails in outlook of the new system.

Your immediate response is highly appreciated.

Saturday, December 7, 2019 8:24 AM

Answers

• It looks like a standard PST file even though the naming doesn't look like the typical Outlook.pst. You can setup your email account in Outlook (as a fresh account) and add that PST as an additional data file in Account Settings. That way you browse the contents and then add as a primary if it contains your original inbox, etc.

• Marked as answer by pradeeppdy Friday, December 13, 2019 9:35 AM
    Sunday, December 8, 2019 7:18 PM
  • Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

If the reply helps, it's recommended to mark it as answer:)

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by pradeeppdy Friday, December 13, 2019 8:35 AM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2019 5:50 AM

All replies

• It looks like a standard PST file even though the naming doesn't look like the typical Outlook.pst. You can setup your email account in Outlook (as a fresh account) and add that PST as an additional data file in Account Settings. That way you browse the contents and then add as a primary if it contains your original inbox, etc.

• Marked as answer by pradeeppdy Friday, December 13, 2019 9:35 AM
    Sunday, December 8, 2019 7:18 PM
  • Agree with SethWH, this should be a .pst file.

We can first open the data file in Outlook client to test if content is normal. To do this, click File > Open & Export > Open Outlook Data Files.

If all emails show correctly, then the data file isn’t broken. Import it back to your POP account.

Reference: Import email, contacts, and calendar from an Outlook .pst file

BTW, you could open Control Panel > File Explorer Options. Under View tab, unselect “Hide extensions for known file types.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 9, 2019 5:47 AM
  • Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

If the reply helps, it's recommended to mark it as answer:)

Regards,

Perry

• Marked as answer by pradeeppdy Friday, December 13, 2019 8:35 AM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2019 5:50 AM
  • Glad to see that helps:)

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information.

[Request/Expectation]

====================

How to recover old data file

[Suggestions]

====================

Find the PST file and import it to Outlook client

[Reference Links]

====================

Import email, contacts, and calendar from an Outlook .pst file
    Saturday, December 14, 2019 1:52 AM