none
import a .pst into Exchange Online, without Outlook? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to import a .pst into an Exchange Online mailbox without using Outlook?

Suppose users are Deskless Workers. They cannot use Outlook to import an existing .pst into the Exchange Online mailbox.

I'm wondering if the import can be done using PowerShell. Alternatively, I'm wondering if an admin user (with a standard license instead of Deskless Worker) may be able to do the import using Outlook, on behalf of the Deskless Worker.

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:38 PM

Answers

• The only way I know how to do it is using Outlook.  A standard license admin can import mail into a deskless workers mailbox using Outlook.  They just need to add the deskless worker as an additional mailbox in their profile and they can then import the PST into their mailbox.

Chad

Chad Mosman, MessageOps | www.MessageOps.com
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:50 PM

All replies

• The only way I know how to do it is using Outlook.  A standard license admin can import mail into a deskless workers mailbox using Outlook.  They just need to add the deskless worker as an additional mailbox in their profile and they can then import the PST into their mailbox.

Chad

Chad Mosman, MessageOps | www.MessageOps.com
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Thanks Chad.

-- Steve

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 9:09 PM
  • If you have a spare ExchangeOnline license, you can migrate old outlook PST to ExchangeOnlineDeskless account as follows:

1. Change user license to ExchangeOnline
    2. Create a new profile and outlook account for user through autodiscover
    3. Import PST (wait for all folders up-to-date)
    4. Change license back to ExchangeOnlineDeskless
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 2:34 PM