none
List View Threshold for Doc Library opened in Windows Explorer

Question

• We’ve gotten around the View Threshold on our Doc Library MAIN DOCS by creating different views in Sharepoint Online, as was suggested. This works fine when viewing the actual team site / doc library in a browser. But when the doc library is linked in an Office program like Word, or in Windows Explorer, it is giving us the following error:

The attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold enforced by the administrator.

I guess it is trying to display All Documents by default. How can we bypass this? Is there a way to add a document library w/ view included, or somehow not have it try to display All Items in Explorer / Office? Our staff regularly works in the Full Version of Word / Excel / Etc. so this is imperative: they need to be able to do a File > Open or File > Save As from the full version of Word / Excel.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:58 PM

All replies

• Nope, you'd have to use folders to get it to work with the Explorer view as far as i'm aware.
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:06 PM
  • Thanks for the reply...looking into the folder option now. Still somewhat new to Sharepoint online as we are going through a migration, but I was told folders are frowned upon in Sharepoint. Is this the recommended procedure from Microsoft when using the full version of Office Suite? Or does Microsoft expect all editing to be done in the Online version of Word / Excel / etc (or saving all the documents to the desktop then doing an upload)?

Seems like Saving to and Opening from Doc Libraries while in the full version of Office is a very common task. Surprising to me that Doc Libraries have to be cut up into sub-5000 item lists just to accomplish this.

Monday, April 24, 2017 8:52 PM
  • Folders are fine, in moderation. My rule of thumb is that you shouldn't be using them unless you have interesting permission levels or lots of items. But with either of those they are the right solution a lot of the time.

MS would prefer that you use the browser as the interface in most cases, that means that you can open and edit the files with your client application but you don't use the explorer view.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:45 AM